× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend WIFI signal

Patriot5o
Follower

Extend WIFI signal

I need help in extending my wifi signal from the basement of my house to outside. Here is my current setup:

1) Cable modem

2) TPlink wifi router

3) R7000 waiting to be set up

When I walk out of the house and into either yard, the signal from the TPlink wifi router significanlty drops or I lose it all together. I want to setup the R7000 so it takes the signal from the TPlink and expands it outside. The biggest thing is that I DO NOT want to change SSID's when moving outside. I want to stay connected to the same SSID from the TPlink router. Is there a way to set up the R7000 router to do that?

Thank you!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Re: Extend WIFI signal

Anytime you use an extender your SSID will change from the one on the router.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

@No1Mportnt wrote:

Anytime you use an extender your SSID will change from the one on the router.

Not exactly. There are mesh extenders. the R7000 doesn't work as such though. 

You could set the R7000 with the same ssid as the tp-link but it wouldn't roam the same as a mesh extender. It'd tend to be sticky in that devices would tend to stay connected to the r7000/tplink until the signal was close to unusable. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-enable-the-extender-mode-feature-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 3 of 4
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Thanks for the clarification.  I will have to get up to date on the mesh networks.  🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7