× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend Wifi through Ethernet

Krowhell
Aspirant

Extend Wifi through Ethernet

Hello,

I have a Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Mesh Extender. In my house, the internet router is on level 3, and my Extender is on level 1.

I have an ethernet cable between level 1 & level 3. 

I tried to put the extender, but on level 1 it is not connecting to the internet router access point.

At the moment I put the extender in access mode, but when roaming the house, sometimes the phone keeps the far away access point and that's messed up 😄 

So, I want to be able to extend my Wifi thought Ethernet and be able to roam easily in the house. How can I do it with using my current extender ? I can stop the wifi access point for the internet router and replace it with another netgear device, but which one. Please give me your insight.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Krowhell
Aspirant

Re: Extend Wifi through Ethernet

I guess I am more looking into 802.11r enabled devices. Is there a way to find the compatible devices on the netgear site ? (I know the R7800 can do it, but I don't see it in the list of its features...) https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-802-11r-configuration-details-r7800/61352

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Spoiler
In access point mode, the smart roaming features are disabled on extenders and devices tend to be sticky and not roam as well. 
The only devices I know that support wired and/or wireless backhaul are the Orbi series and the MK nighthawk series. 

You could use the extender but put it on floor 2. It'd be midpoint and pickup a better signal from the router to rebroadcast. 

Message 2 of 5
Krowhell
Aspirant

Thanks for the recommandation, I tried that already, but this is a very old house with thick walls, it would work out if I add an EX8000 at each floor. 

So as far as I understand there is no Netgear solution/device which would allow to extend a Wifi, using Ethernet network (beside going with Business solution and a controller for roaming feature), right ?

Message 3 of 5
Krowhell
Aspirant

I guess I am more looking into 802.11r enabled devices. Is there a way to find the compatible devices on the netgear site ? (I know the R7800 can do it, but I don't see it in the list of its features...) https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-802-11r-configuration-details-r7800/61352

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I don't know of a list of devices with those features

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements