× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender Connecting to Wrong Network

jesse1343
Aspirant

Extender Connecting to Wrong Network

I am trying to connect my extender to the proper network. The one my computer connects to. However when I follow the instructions on Connecting with WPS the extender connects to a network that isn't used and I dont have the password for it. How do I ensure that the extender connects to the correct network?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Extender Connecting to Wrong Network

What router are you trying to connect to?

The extender can't just magically connect. If you're hitting the wps button on the extender and the wps on the router, that's the one its going to connect to. So when you say its connecting to the network that isn't used, do you mean its not connecting to your router or its not connecting to the wireless radio (2.4ghz/5ghz) that you use? 

Keep in mind that the EX2700 is a N300 single band device. It only connects to 2.4ghz channels. 

Barring all else, you can hardwire into the extender and manually set it up. 

Here's your support site with manuals, firmware, and install guides.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex2700

Message 2 of 4
jesse1343
Aspirant

@plemans 

I know it can't just "magically connect". I know how to connect it to the network. It will connect to the router but it is connecting to a network that I don't have the password to because it's not one that is used. I dont know whether or not the one that I do use is a 2.4ghz or 5ghz network.. Where would I find this out at? 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@jesse1343 wrote:

@plemans 

I know it can't just "magically connect". I know how to connect it to the network. It will connect to the router but it is connecting to a network that I don't have the password to because it's not one that is used. I dont know whether or not the one that I do use is a 2.4ghz or 5ghz network.. Where would I find this out at? 

I guess I'm a bit confused then. Your running a network that you don't have a password to because it isn't used. And you're not sure if your router supports 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

What router is it?

have you logged into the router and changed your ssid and password? 

The extender you're trying to connect only supports the 2.4ghz band. If you're not using that band, why did you buy an extender that only works in 2.4ghz?

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7