× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender EX2700 and Windows 8/10

Hike13
Aspirant

Extender EX2700 and Windows 8/10

Hello,

I have a wifi externder EX2700 and it worked fine with my laptop with windows 7. But now I bought a HP's all in one with windows 8 and the extender does not work. I am using windows 10 now but the problem remains: limited connection. I cant acess the information of the extender or use the internet.

My wifi adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802. 11b/g/n

I already installed the new firmware of the extender but nothing happens.

Any help?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Extender EX2700 and Windows 8/10

Hi Hike13,

Place your extender in the same room as your router, then reset your EX2700 back to factory defaults then reconfigure your settings. See page 25 of 35:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_UM_15July2014.pdf

After this setup, move your extender to your other location. You can check the LEDs to verify that it is receiving a good connection from your router.

Also confirm that your computer is running the latest driver for your WiFi adapter:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-upd...

Message 2 of 11
Hike13
Aspirant

Hi nhann,

I've already tried to update the drives for my wifi adapter. I am currently using the latest version. And I've already reseted the ex2700 and I am using the latest firmware from Netgear.

However, the problem remains. After I reset the extender, I can acess the ex2700 configuration options through my computer but when I press "apply" the connection is lost and I can't acess the extender anymore.

Is there any incompatibility between my wifi adapter and Netgear's product?

I have a Tp-link range extender and it works fine with my computer. But I really prefer to use the Netgear product if possible. It worked fine with my previous notebook after I sent a message to Netgear because you printed the wrong Mac adess.

Best regards

Message 3 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Hike13,

Thanks for the information.

Can you please clarify:
"After I reset the extender, I can acess the ex2700 configuration options through my computer but when I press "apply" the connection is lost and I can't acess the extender anymore."

After completing a full factory reset, you are able to connect to the extender and go through the initial setup. However at the last step, please confirm that you are now connected to your Extender's new WiFi network name. Then continue.

Please also use an ethernet cord and try to connect the ethernet port on the EX2700 with another device and test if you have an internet connection.

Message 4 of 11
Hike13
Aspirant

Hi nhann, how are you?

Sorry for my English. I will try to be more accurate.

"After completing a full factory reset, you are able to connect to the extender and go through the initial setup. However at the last step, please confirm that you are now connected to your Extender's new WiFi network name. Then continue."

That's it. When I press "Continue" after the text "Click the Continue button after you connect your WiFi devices." my computer loses the connection with the extender and I cant access it. The windows says "limited connection". And I can't acess http://mywifiext.net/ again.

Message 5 of 11
Hike13
Aspirant

The Wif adapter says also "unidentified network" and "no internet acess" when I connect to Netgear's extender after the setup.

Message 6 of 11
Hike13
Aspirant

I also tried to connect my computer and the ex2700 extender through an ethernet cord as you asked, but the problem remains. When I ask the windows to solve the problem the result is: 

'Ethernet Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration'

Message 7 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Hike13,

Which router are you using with the EX2700?

Please update the router to latest firmware then reset the router to factory defaults.

Also restart your computer.

If possible try other devices/computers that can connect to the EX2700.

If you have another ethernet cord, try that also to connect from EX2700 to your computer.

Message 8 of 11
Hike13
Aspirant

Hello nhann,

My router's firmware is updated.

And there's no problem there because the EX2700 connects without any problem with my HP notebook. The problem lays when I try to connect the EX2700 with my new HP desktop. When I use a TP Link extender there is no problem also.

When I connect the router to the new desktop using a ethernet cord there is no problem. But if I connect the desktop and the EX2700 using a ethernet cord there is no connection.

So, I believe the problem is the communication between my new desktop and the EX2700, because both ethernet port and wifi adapter from my desktop does not work with the EX2700.

Thanks

Message 9 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Hike13,

Please confirm these steps as mentioned above:

"Which router are you using with the EX2700?

Please update the router to latest firmware then reset the router to factory defaults."

Message 10 of 11
Hike13
Aspirant

Hello,

I solved the problem using the virtual mac adress and not the real one.

Thanks for your support.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7