× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender EX7700 connection problems with R7000

Huiskesmartijn
Aspirant

Extender EX7700 connection problems with R7000

Hi,

So I recently purchased the Nighthawk X6 EX7700 as a range extender for my Nighthawk R7700 router. I'm running into a lot of problems though. I can set everything up without problems, and the status page indicated everything is working.

However when I try to connect to the 5G network via any phone/tablet the I cannot connect to the network. I've tested 6 different phones/tabs and a tv, including iphones, ipads and a samsung phone. When the extender is unplugged, the 5g network from the router works fine, but as soon as the extender is plugged I run into problems.

Also the networks from the extender completely disappear every day or so (both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz network). The EX7700 is in repeating mode.

I saw multiple threads indicating the R7000 and the EX7700 have problems dealing with each other.

What I've tried so far:

- Reset both router and extender

- Downgraded the R7000 to the stable .42 firmware, didn't do anything.

- Flashed the R7000 with the Freshtomato firmware, didn't make a difference either.

Anyone any ideas?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
Huiskesmartijn
Aspirant

Re: Extender EX7700 connection problems with R7000

EDIT: The problem now also occurs on the 2.4GHz network.

After some more research, I found that the only way to get devices connected properly is by manually setting the IP address and dns. But while this sounds like a DHCP issue, the extender obviously does not have DHCP and the router DHCP is working fine (tested with the extender turned off).

This is very inconvenient as every time I connect a new device I need to set its IP manually, and for some devices like my tv this is not even possible.

Message 2 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Huiskesmartijn, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 3 of 5
Kkhan786
Aspirant

I made the mistake of buying a second router so have now spent a total of £220. I’m so annoyed this is clearly an issue for the product. Thank you for the person describing the problem as I could not have done that.

@netgear - please help. Please replace with models that work.
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 4 of 5
LeonTas
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB,

I am running into the same problems and have the same set-up (A7000 Nighthawk in combination with the EX7700 extender).

After the first 1 the problems seem to occur. Do you have a solution you can post?

Regards,

Leon Tas

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7