× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extender compatible with ORBI..?

Sandman160
Star

Extender compatible with ORBI..?

I’ve got an ORBI setup and need to add an extender that allows me to define a separate network name... so adding an extra ORBI satellite isn’t going to work.

I was recommended a Nighthawk EX7700 without using the MESH functionality.

However after being on the phone for over 2 hours to Netgear support over the last two days I’m now being told the EX7700 doesn’t work with ORBI. 😡

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a fast WiFi extender that would work with ORBI..?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

try installing version 1.0.0.206. Factory reset it after the update. 

When you set it up, hardwire into the extender for setup. Make sure to disable the mesh/one ssid feature when you set it up. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The orbi outdoor and orbi voice both have orbi option or extender option. You could set it up in extender option and then if you ever decided to add it into your network, you could.

I've see others who've used the mesh extenders with orbi. you just don't want to run them with the mesh mode working. just as a standard extender. 

Message 2 of 12
Sandman160
Star

Thanks for the response. The Orbi outdoor/voice are kind of pricey solutions though.

I was told the EX7700 would work with ORBI as long as it wasn’t in MESH mode. I couldn’t get it working and Netgear support eventually conceded it didn’t work.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Do you still have it? 

What firmware version is on it? 

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

others have gotten it working as well. 

Which version of orbi do you have? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Unable-to-extend-Orbi-RBR50-wifi-wit...

Message 5 of 12
Sandman160
Star

I can’t remember the firmware version right now but I tried to update it and it said it was up to date.

Does that help?

Netgear talked me into setting up as a mesh router in the last call so it takes the WiFi out if it’s on now.

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Sandman160 wrote:
I can’t remember the firmware version right now but I tried to update it and it said it was up to date.

Does that help?

Netgear talked me into setting up as a mesh router in the last call so it takes the WiFi out if it’s on now.

some times the auto update doesn't pull the latest firmware. That's why its always good to check. 

and potentially netgear support didn't know about the newest. Do you still have it? 

Message 7 of 12
Sandman160
Star

The nighthawk app is telling me it’s running V1.0.0.188.
Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

When you set it up, hardwire into the extender for setup. Make sure to disable the mesh/one ssid feature when you set it up. 

Message 9 of 12
Sandman160
Star

@plemans wrote:

Thank you for this. After hours on the phone with support, getting nowhere, this seems like good advice.

I've updated the firmware. I didn't reset back to factory settings because as soon as it rebooted it came back working. It connected to the Orbi, got an internet connection extended the network. Doing everything I want it to do.

I've rebooted it and it does seem to be doing everything I wanted.

So, THANK YOU. Much appreciated.

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working! if you mark it as solved it helps the next person find the solution quicker 🙂 

Message 11 of 12
Sandman160
Star

@plemans wrote:

if you mark it as solved it helps the next person find the solution quicker 🙂 

Done. Thanks again..!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos