× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender recommendation in addition to router R7800 X4S

schilea
Aspirant

Extender recommendation in addition to router R7800 X4S

Hi, as my family is working/studying now from home: me, my wife, one of the kids, plus the other every two weeks, I got a lot of complaints regarding the wifi signal quality: drops, low throughput etc.

The house is a medium one - ground and first floor, 5 rooms, one kitchen. The ISP provides me optical fibre 1000/500 Gbps and there are gigabit wired connections between the entrance (niche in the wall) and each room. 

Since one year ago the network was like this - Huawei GPON HG8247H at entrance plus wired WNDR3800 upstrairs. Separate wifi networks, 2.4G and 5G for each router. Separate LANs for both routers, most of the devices hosted on Netgear router.

One year ago I bought an Nighthawk X4S R7800 as the number of my wireles devices (Home automation devices, phones in the house, TVs, PS4, NAS) is around 50 and the old WNDR3800 become obsolete, frozen from time to time and needed some restarts.

Right now the setup is like this:

- Huawei GPON HG8247H at the entrance, wifi disabled, acting as a switch plus media converter (cable TV output)

- main router Nighthawk X4S R7800 at the entrance, connected to GPON, plus 4 wired output connections towards the rooms. One wifi network 2.4G/5G with smart connection

- WNDR3800 in acces point mode, upstairs, wirely connected with R7800, and 2 separate networks 2.4G and 5G.

- 3 GB switches for connecting TVs, PS4 and NAS.

To resume in the house I have 3 neworks brodcasted but don't have continuous coverage on neither one. There areas on the main floor where the throughput from R7800 in not higher than 10-20Mbps. Also in the kitchen there is no signal from WNDR3800

Finally my goal is to have one single mesh wifi network but don't want to replace existing R7800 with an Orbi solution.

So I am thinking to replace the WNDR3800 with an extender (EX7000, EX7800 or EX8000) most probably EX7700, in access point mode, using the existing wired connection. I dont't plan to use the extender as extender, only as access point so another option, not desirable as most expensive is to buy another router and to use it as acess point.

Based on what I have readed so far, I have some questions:

- is EX7000 supporting one wifi?

- Is one wifi really working in access point mode just by setting same credentials? seems wired to me as the option is not disabled but it works when setting the same credentials

- is the smart connect working properly on router and extender? I am going to have a single mesh network 2.4G/5G

- last but not least which one EX7000, EX7800 or EX8000 works better or is more suitable to work with R7800?

Thanks in advance,

Silviu

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender, EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7