× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender recommendation

rwelgosh
Aspirant

Extender recommendation

I have this router in my house and I have a few cameras and doorbells that use 2.4 outside that struggle.  Can anyone recommend an extender that I can use with this ddevide to extend the coverage of the 2.4 network?  Also, extending the 5 wouldnt hurt for my kids up on the 3rd floor but not totally necessary.

Thanks

Ray

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Extender recommendation

What do your exterior walls consist of? 

Many materials like adobe, plaster lathe, metal siding, foil lined insulation, brick, concrete, spraycrete, all are very good at blocking wifi signals. 

The reason this can be an issue is even if you get an extender, it might not still penetrate, or if you get an extender and put it outside, its not going to have a good signal to rebroadcast.

If you have those materials, you best bet is to pull an ethernet wire exterior to the home and then get an outdoor rated extender/access point. 

The only one netgear makes that is outdoor rated and can run of ethernet is the Netgear airbridge. It has an access point mode and not just a point to point mode. 

Message 2 of 4
rwelgosh
Aspirant

Standard wall setup of 2x4 wood with drywall.  We have hardwood floors.  Exterier is stucco and brick but they communicate now just very sporatic.  Was hoping an extender would get me enough strength to make themn reliable.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

that stucco and brick is going to be your issue.

You can try a dual band extender and try running it in fastlane mode (dedicates the 5ghz band for router---extender communication) so it leaves the better penetrating band just for extender-----device communication. 

It might work but it also might be sporadic. there isn't a 100%, it'll work answer when it comes to materials that block wifi like both stucco and brick. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7