× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extender

theshield
Guide

Extender

Hello, I have 2 extenders  an EX 5000 and an EX 6110 . I need to know which is the strongest and is it possible to install one in the detached garage and one in the house , without either one conflicting on my home network . I don't know why , but since I installed the Netgear Router R7000 , I dropped connection speeds . 

My previous router , the Netgear R6400 worked really well . I thought I was stepping up not down .  Please, advise .

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

The R7000 has been problematic for about the last 18 months with firmware. Its been a wreck for firmware since. The agreed upon stable version is the 1.0.9.42 version of the firmware. 

Try downgrading the R7000 to that, factory reset it, and then manually set it back up (not from backup.

When you're setting up the extenders, are you doing it in a star configuration or daisy chain?

Star: extender<---------router---------->extender

Daisy chain: Router-------->extender--------->extender

And are you using the same ssid's for the router as the extenders? Neither are mesh so I'd recommend setting their own ssid's for the extenders. this will prevent them from connecting to each other instead of the router. 

Message 2 of 7
theshield
Guide

I set one up in the garage and will set one up in the living rm. Do I change the ssid's for the extenders @ routeriogin.net or go through the extender web site . Once I change ssid's then each one connects seperately , so there should be no conflicts ?  I set the one in garage matched to the router .

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@theshield wrote:

I set one up in the garage and will set one up in the living rm. Do I change the ssid's for the extenders @ routeriogin.net or go through the extender web site . Once I change ssid's then each one connects seperately , so there should be no conflicts ?  I set the one in garage matched to the router .

When you change the ssid you ensure they're not accidentally connecting to each other.

You can change the ssids either through the extender site or using its ip address. 

Message 4 of 7
theshield
Guide

On the extenders , the EX 6110 and the EX 5000 , wich one is stronger?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

I don't have a good response for you. They're both AC1200 devices. luckily they're simple plug in units. try them setup one way for a bit and then swap them. 

Message 6 of 7
theshield
Guide

Thank You , I will let you know how things turn out .

Have a Great Day and tomorrow as well .

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7