× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extenders connected, but no internet

Roboclock
Aspirant

Extenders connected, but no internet

My Neighbor is letting me use his internet when I go south for 3 months. I run two cameras for security and some wifi outlets. I put an extender in his garage and It works, but the signal is weak and I can only connect on the wall of my house that faces his garage. So I added a second extender in my house so I would have signal thru out the house.

Had trouble getting it set up but finally got it, I had 15mbs in the house, I was so elated, Then next day came down and now I have nothing and can't seem to get anywhere.

I notoice that sometimes the signal gets weak from the extender in His house and I might loose connection in my house for and hour or so, Could the extender in my house be reconnecting diferently each time which is why once it worked and now it doesn't. The extender in His house it a TPlink, and I am on a Mac, and Iphone. I bought the Netgear ex6400 since it was said it would be more powerful, but the TPlink send a signal farther than the netgeat.

Any help would be appreciated, keep in minfd I am a novice

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Extenders connected, but no internet

You'd want the extender in his garage to use a different network name than his router.  Then you also want the extender in your home to use a different network name from the garage.  That would prevent the extender in your home from trying to connect directly to the neighbor's router.

Also, 5Ghz has shorter range than 2.4 ghz. It might be simpler just to turn off the 5 Ghz radios, since the issue here is distance. 

Message 2 of 8
Roboclock
Aspirant

To refresh I am using a neighbors internet to run security cameras while away from home . I dont have internet at the house, I use a hot spot which I take with me. I have two repeaters in series to cover the whole house. So as I continue to try to set this up I find I can get things working, one time I had a speed oif 15gbs tahts thru both repeaters, I was elated, But the next day i had no internet, went through set up several times and got things working okay agian. But.. next day no internet.

So it seems that things won't stay connected. It might be that I loose connection with the host from time to time and the extenders reconnect but the auto settings change, thus I loose connection down the line. I'm thinking I have to specifiy the different addresses in each repeater and noy have them change. Which fields are most criticle?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Did you try the suggestions I made above?

Message 4 of 8
Roboclock
Aspirant

yes, they all have a different name.
The installation automatically and an EXT to the router name. the second etc has a _ext added
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Can you tell where along the chain the connection is dropping?

Message 6 of 8
Roboclock
Aspirant

I get internet at the first extender but not the second (last) one
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Roboclock wrote:
I get internet at the first extender but not the second (last) one

Ok.

what model extender is this?   Usually there's an indicator of the signal strength of the router->extender link, though the details depend on the extender model.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7