× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending ATT Fiber BGW320 Wireless Network with AX1800 & AX8 Concurrently ?

rakserv
Aspirant

Extending ATT Fiber BGW320 Wireless Network with AX1800 & AX8 Concurrently ?

Configuration Information:

ATT Fiber is Internet Service Provider (1000 service)

House Construction:

Structure is ~2500 sq ft

Stucco Exterior, Wood Frame with Drywall

Current Configuration:

Nokia BGW320-505 Optical Gateway located close to the center of the structure.  

Two AirTies 4921 WiFi Range Extenders located at the extreme ends of the house

- One 4921 is connected back to BGW320 via 1Gb copper ethernet through a Trendnet TEG-S80g switch

- One 4921 is wireless connected back to the BGW320

Currently devices seems to decent WiFi stability / connections that declines the further away from the BGW320 despite having the wireless extenders.

Thought: I am thinking of replacing the 4921s with Netgear Wireless Extenders (one AX1800 - EAX20 & one - AX8 - EAX80)

Proposed Configuration:

Two AirTies 4921 WiFi Range Extenders located at the extreme ends of the house

- AX8  connected back to BGW320 via 1Gb copper ethernet through a Trendnet TEG-S80g switch

- AX1800 is wireless connected back to the BGW320 -or- 1Gb copper ethernet through the same Trendnet TEG-S80g switch 

Questions:

1. Will these two range extenders co-exist peacefully using a single SSID ?
  2. Wireless Backhaul
    1. Would it be better to run 1GbE line to the second Wireless Extender location for ethernet backhaul vs. Wireless ?
    2. What speed would the wireless backhaul operate ?

In general should I expect to see improvement in overall stability and network performance in the proposed configuration ?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending ATT Fiber BGW320 Wireless Network with AX1800 & AX8 Concurrently ?

I wouldn't go that route.

I don't recommend using 2 wireless extenders unless they can't pickup the others signal at all (if you're wanting to use mesh). 

Reason why is they can end up connected to each other and cause conflicts. 

when needing more than 1 extender, I usually advise people to look at a full mesh (not extender based) like the Orbi or MK nighthawk. 

They'll have better stability and better roaming. Plus the extenders don't support smart roaming when they're hardwired in (for the best speeds). The orbi and MK nighthawk do. 

If you watch amazon, you'll find renewed/refurbished Orbi's quite frequently for around that same price of the 2x extenders together. And if potentially you can hardwire in both satellites, you'll only need a dual band system instead of a triband. I recommend triband if needing the wireless backhaul. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
rakserv
Aspirant

Sorry Cut & Paste Error Above:

Proposed Configuration:

Two Netgear WiFi Range Extenders located at the extreme ends of the house

- AX8  connected back to BGW320 via 1Gb copper ethernet through a Trendnet TEG-S80g switch

- AX1800 is wireless connected back to the BGW320 -or- 1Gb copper ethernet through the same Trendnet TEG-S80g switch 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't go that route.

I don't recommend using 2 wireless extenders unless they can't pickup the others signal at all (if you're wanting to use mesh). 

Reason why is they can end up connected to each other and cause conflicts. 

when needing more than 1 extender, I usually advise people to look at a full mesh (not extender based) like the Orbi or MK nighthawk. 

They'll have better stability and better roaming. Plus the extenders don't support smart roaming when they're hardwired in (for the best speeds). The orbi and MK nighthawk do. 

If you watch amazon, you'll find renewed/refurbished Orbi's quite frequently for around that same price of the 2x extenders together. And if potentially you can hardwire in both satellites, you'll only need a dual band system instead of a triband. I recommend triband if needing the wireless backhaul. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7