× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending WiFi from XR1000-Best Practice?

qlofty
Aspirant

Extending WiFi from XR1000-Best Practice?

Hello, 

Looking for some help on the best practice to achieve what i am looking to accomplish. 

I have the XR1000 currently and i am moving into a new home soon that has ethernet wired throughout the house. 

I want to extend the WiFi range in the house so it covers the home well and covers the backyard for BBQ area. 

I was looking into what might be best to use as access points off of the XR1000, i was looking at the Netgear MK60 or MK83.

Not sure if those would be over kill, but can they be used as an extension off the main WiFi from the XR1000?

Or would something like the AX1800 access point be better?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending WiFi from XR1000-Best Practice?

No the mesh systems won't "integrate" with the Xr1000

How many do you think you'll need? (satellites or extenders) 

There are mesh wireless extenders but if you're needing more than 1, I usually recommend not using extenders and using an actual  mesh system. 

Also, if your home is hardwired and you're planning on hardwiring in the satellites, the MK63 system would have the same performance as the MK83 system. Not the case if using the wireless backhaul. 

Message 2 of 6
qlofty
Aspirant

Well its 3 floors (Basement, Main Floor, Second Floor), so was thinking two-three extenders to help cover the backyard. 

Probably looking to cover roughly 5,000-6,000 sq feet. The whole lot is 9,0000 sq ft but i am not too concerned with WiFi coverage towards the front yard/street. 

Message 3 of 6
qlofty
Aspirant

Want to circle back on this. 

I see the MX63 state AX1800s. How do these differ from the WAX610, i have setup the MX63 but seems to constantly drop WiFi or devices are connecting to the main router rather than the satlietes when they are closer to the satlietes. 

Each Satliete is wired to a network switch which also is connected to the 1 LAN port on the main MK63 router. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

do you have the MK system hardwired in? or running off the wireless backhaul? 

the WAX610 would potentially perform better as its business class but its also $150/a piece. 

A bit more expensive. Plus they use the insight managment 

Message 5 of 6
qlofty
Aspirant

They are hardwired in. I have TP link switch, which the main MK63 router runs an ehternet wire to. Then the other two are hardwired to the switch.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7