× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending Wireless Range with WG602v4

AlanMoseley
Aspirant

Extending Wireless Range with WG602v4

Hi there, hope someone can help. I have a DG834 ADSL router (not wireless) attached to a WG602v4 configured in Access Point mode, with a static IP address outside the DHCP scope, broadcasting the SSID, using 64bit WEP encryption, and using open authentication. The DG834 is also the DHCP server. Clients can connect wirelessly and are able to access the internet. I now want to extend the wireless range, and so have bought another WG602v4. I have configured it with a static IP address outside the DHCP scope, set it to WEP encryption using the same settings and SSID as above, made sure it is using the same channel, and configured it in Repeater mode. When choosing this option the unit correctly identifies the MAC address of the AP, which allows me to add it, and the remote AP shows in the list at the bottom of the configuration screen with a signal strength of about 50.

Clients can still associate with the original AP, but if they associate with the new repeater they do not get an IP address and are therefore unable to connect to the internet.

What have I done wrong?

Many thanks in advance?
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Extending Wireless Range with WG602v4

setup looks fine to me. have you test with open network and see if the result is same over WEP?

also test with static IP on one of the wifi device and see if you are able to ping the router and/or public domain etc.
Message 2 of 5
AlanMoseley
Aspirant

Thank you for confirming that I am approaching the configuration in the correct way. I wasn't sure if I needed to have the 'master' units configured as multi-point bridge with client association, and the secondary unit as a single point bridge with client association, but that didn't work either.

I will try with no encryption and see what happens.

I did try setting a static IP on a client, I could ping the secondary access point (the one configured as a repeater) but nothing else. The secondary unit has a static IP, and does show as a connected station on the master unit, and I can ping the secondary unit if I associate with the master unit, but I can't ping the master unit if I associate with the secondary. Might it make a difference if I set the secondary unit to get its IP address via DHCP? It just feels like the second unit isn't bridging (and routing) across the interfaces correctly.
Message 3 of 5
AlanMoseley
Aspirant

Hi there

Disabling the encryption has not made any difference unfortunately. Might anyone have any further suggestions as to what I might try? The only way I can get any functionality out of the second unit is to configure it in client mode. Short of connecting a third WG602 via RJ45 to the second unit, and configuring it as another AP(which I really shouldn't be needing to do), I'm not sure what to do.

Many thanks.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you may want to go with wn2000rp instead..
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7