× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending Wireless Range

chris_b1
Aspirant

Extending Wireless Range

I am trying to extend the range of my network from an R6300 router, so dual band, 802.11ac 1300mbps capability, which I want to maintain thorughout the house. Unfortunately, the main AV equipment is in a dark spot (signal -71dB) and my favoured transmission is through wireless to a Chromecast. It is not terribly convenient to place a range extender in an intermediate position, and I have read that that solution can increase latency, which might impact streaming of video.

I do, however, have a powerline connection to the dark spot, with a switch connected. Can anyone give me recommendations on what to buy? Access Point? Or range extender with access point capability? 

Many thanks

Chris B

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Extending Wireless Range

Hi chris_b1

A possible solution is to connect a range extender like the EX3700 as an access point. The range extender would be in the dark spot you mentioned and it would be wired to your router.
You can also connect the range extender to your switch that has the powerline connection.

Please review page 15 of 47 about access point: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_8may2015.pdf

The other option is a powerline with WiFi such as the XWNB5221. Please do run a comparison between the products and see what fits your needs.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

NhanN

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chris_b1

A possible solution is to connect a range extender like the EX3700 as an access point. The range extender would be in the dark spot you mentioned and it would be wired to your router.
You can also connect the range extender to your switch that has the powerline connection.

Please review page 15 of 47 about access point: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_8may2015.pdf

The other option is a powerline with WiFi such as the XWNB5221. Please do run a comparison between the products and see what fits your needs.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

NhanN

Message 2 of 5
chris_b1
Aspirant

NhanN

Thans - I will have a close look at those two. I was getting ready to go for a WAC120, but that is rather overkill for what I need, I suspect.

Chris

Message 3 of 5
chris_b1
Aspirant

NhanN

Many thanks. The EX3700 looks fine for my purposes and I have just ordered it. The XWNB5221 is less suitable, in part because I think it is not available in the UK(grr) and also because I think it is only 802.11n, while I would like to maintain 802.11ac coverage.

BTW, if you are  Netgear employee, you  might note that the UK website, in its comparison engine, shows the EX3700 as solely an 802.11n device, which is misleading.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

Message 4 of 5
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

chris_b1

You're welcome! Glad you found an option.
Yes, you're right about the comparison. I'll pass it along to the web team.

Thanks!

Regards,

NhanN

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7