× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending internet to an outbuilding on a different circuit

alisilcock
Aspirant

Extending internet to an outbuilding on a different circuit

Hi all,

New to forums and quite a technical novice.

I want to extend internet to my outbuilding. The outbuilding is c.35 metres at the bottom of the garden and is on a totally seperate electrical circuit - I even pay a seperate energy company. My router (Virgin media super hub 2) enters the property at the front. The floors are concrete so I can't run a cable under the floor boards, I would have to go over the house or at least around the side as running a cable inside the house is not an option due to challenges on aesthetics from the wife,

I have a few questions:

Ultimately I would like a smart TV out there, so I apprecaite running cable is the only way I will ever get sufficient performance to HD stream, for example. Quesion is what do I run the cat5 cable from? Is it from the router or the outside port where the cable comes in? What is likley to be involved in that project?

2nd question - The hardwiring is going to be a longer term project as it is likley going to involve running a trench from house to outdbuilding, so in the meantime, I'd be happy with wifi out there. I tried a netgear Ac750 range extender and it didn't quite give me the range - stopped short by about 10 metres. Interestingly, my macbook could see the main router - other things like iphone / ipad couldn't even see the extender. When I put the range extender in the actual outbuilding, it did pick up the main router but signal was intermittent and I kept having to reconfigure tghe extender so is not a viable permanent solution. Interestingly, my macbook could see the main router in the house  - other things like iphone / ipad couldn't even see the extender at the rear of the property. As the router is at the front of the property and I am already losing maybe 15 yards of room distance + a structural wall, if I ran a powerline adapter from the front to the rear of the property and attach a second router via ethernet cable, would that give me a second WI-FI 'bubble' at the rear of property closer to the outbuilding? And if I then got a decent 2nd router (nighthawk or something), is that likely to send a much further WIFI signal from the 2nd router point?

Appreciate any help / suggestions you can give. Thanks in advance.

Alistair

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Extending internet to an outbuilding on a different circuit

Yes, there's no reason why not, but if you have a power socket near to a window close to the outbuilding then you could consider using powerline products which have a AP at the remote end e.g. http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/XWNB5201.aspx#tab-techspecs and if the WiFi isn’t quite strong enough then you still have the option for wired Ethernet at the remote end which you can connect to a more powerful AP.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I use an EX7000 range extender which is pretty good.

When you set up a range extender it is important to understand that it needs to be in an intermediate position between the base station and the remote clients. Too close to the base station can mean that remote clients are really no better off, too close to the clients and the extender itself will likely suffer from a weak base station signal.

There may possibly be a compromise solution for you also, you could set up an EX7000 or similar as an Access Point, this would require it to be connected to the router (LAN port) via an Ethernet cable, but it can then provide WiFi access away from the main router.

Have you also considered using flat Ethernet cable, this can often be slotted underneath skirting board or carpet?

Message 2 of 4
alisilcock
Aspirant

Thanks. Could I set up the ex700 as an access point by connecting it via Ethernet cable to a powerline adapter? So in theory it is wired to the router, just via a powerline adapter?
Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, there's no reason why not, but if you have a power socket near to a window close to the outbuilding then you could consider using powerline products which have a AP at the remote end e.g. http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/XWNB5201.aspx#tab-techspecs and if the WiFi isn’t quite strong enough then you still have the option for wired Ethernet at the remote end which you can connect to a more powerful AP.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7