× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending wifi to two outbuildings

emmetb
Initiate

Extending wifi to two outbuildings

I am in the UK and have a BT broadband connection and Smarthub (wireless/Ethernet ports) that gives good speeds. I want to extend the wireless network from this hub to two outbuildings. In preparation for this I ran shielded Cat6 cable from the hub's location to the first outbuilding (10m away) and then a second shielded Cat6 cable from this outbuilding to the second outbuilding (40m away from the first).

I want to daisy chain wireless access repeaters on the end of these cables to provide wireless in both outbuildings and get good speed in both. What products do I need and how do I set them up?

Just so as you know wireless from the hub to the outbuilding will not work due to wall thickness hence why I ran the cables. I could have run cables from the hub to each outbuilding which may have been better (as could connect each extender directly to the hub in that scenario), but I didn't and can't do that now (as cables are buried) hence why I need to daisy chain them.

All help much appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

yes you can daisy chain. Some of the satellites have more than 1 ethernet jack. You'd just go router------>satellite------>satellite with ethernet. If you happened to have a satellite with only 1 ethernet, a simple unmanaged switch would work

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't use extenders. I would just go with a mesh system. Netgears orbi line support a wired backhaul so you could put a router in the house and a satellite in each building. It'd be simpler than trying to rig up extenders to work and would be a lot more set and forget. 

Message 2 of 6
emmetb
Initiate

Thanks for the reply and that sounds like an option having done some reading up on your suggestion. What I am unsure about is how I would connect the devices. I'd need a 'parent' node in the house that would connect to the Smarthub and then two satellite nodes, one in the adjacent outbuilding and then another in the more distant outbuilding. I currently have a CAT6 cable between the two outbuildings in readiness for this and a Cat 6 cable from the adjacent outbuilding to the house. What I don't have (which would have been more sensible) is a cable from the furthest outbuilding to the house. So I sort of need to daisy chain the satellites... hub -> parent -> satellite 1 -> satellite 2 ... is that possible? Can I out some sort of 'splitter' in the first outbuilding to connect both satellites to the parent? Apologies if this is not making sense.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

yes you can daisy chain. Some of the satellites have more than 1 ethernet jack. You'd just go router------>satellite------>satellite with ethernet. If you happened to have a satellite with only 1 ethernet, a simple unmanaged switch would work

Message 4 of 6
Radoc
Initiate

Apologies for piggy backing on your post, but I have  an identical issue. Difference is that the walls of the buildings , being medieval, are around 2 - 3 feet thick! It comprises a church and two halls.
The current working setup with good strong internet provision   (72 mbps)  from BTInternet. That provides WiFi throughout  nave, aisles and chancel.  I have run an ethernet cable through to one hall  . Because of distance it is via a 100 Metre  cable to a hub then a 50 metre cable to hall.  In the hall I have a Netgear AC1200. The cable connects to that  and provides the WiFi in the hall. Again strong signal throughout.  This was setup a few years ago and I can't recall if it was setup as a Hot Spot. or just simply an extender (I gather the AC1200 can't be  connected  this way so must be a Hot Spot).
I now  want to extend to  second hall, which is adjacent  to church. WiFi doesn't penetrate the 3 foot thick walls so  I have run a  second ethernet cable  (25 metres) to hall from switch. 
I have a second AC1200 but that means setting up a second Hot Spot  . 
Is there a better way of doing this (at low cost - church has little money ),
Thanks, and again apology for piggy backing on OP.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Radoc 

You could use another access point (most routers have an access point mode). You could even use the same ssid as the walls more than likely block the signal. 

Or you could switch over to a renewed/refurbished mesh system. The benefit is, if they're hardwired, even a cheap dual band system would give you pretty good performance. 

If you have further questions, please start your own thread and we're happy to help. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7