× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending wifi using EX6100

dterran
Aspirant

Extending wifi using EX6100

I am attempting to wirelessly connect my home internet to an outbuilding approx 125 ft from my home.  I bought this extender thinking it would do that; however, it has not.  Any other simple suggestions?

Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Extending wifi using EX6100

Hello dterran

Can you explain where you have your router and extender setup and the distances between them and the building you are trying to reach.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
dterran
Aspirant

My router is in the back of my house because iit has to be connected to a computer (I have Windstream internet service). Today, after speaking with another of their techs I moved the Net Gear extender to a garage which is on the edge of the Windstream modem range.  I was able to get "poor" WiFi coverage in the building I wanted it in but I would like to get better if I can.  The out building is approx 125 ft from the modem with a clear site path there is nothing to interfere.

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dterran

Does that building connect to the same Power box as your home if so you could look into power line networking but if not you may look into a directional wifi antenna that you could point directly at that building.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 5
dterran
Aspirant

No both the buildings are wired separately from our house.  They share a power box, but are not connected to the house. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7