× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVG318 - Multiple issues

LowellN
Aspirant

FVG318 - Multiple issues

This device has only been serving as a wireless access point connected to our internal LAN through a LAN port, with a static LAN IP and correct subnet mask.

It was working up until a few weeks ago to serve wireless to laptops and our mobile devices. Then lately laptops work without issue but all mobile devices can connect but receive no data threw wireless. This happened right around DST changes. Their have been no changes to the DNS and or network. IPconfig on wireless devices show correct IP, subnet, DNS servers. I have updated to the newest firmware reset router and recreated while testing different security modes no change.

Wireless devices this effects is Android Incredible, Hero & Nexus and a few different Blackberry's.Basically all mobile devices we have had available to test.

While looking threw the router I noticed that the date and time are off, to I tried different DST servers with no luck. The router shows -
Current Time: WED DEC 26 12:54:01 GMT-0700 2001
and it is currently -
MON MAR 21 10:13:00 GMT-0700 2011

Does any one have an idea on if these two issues are linked? or a resolution to either.
Message 1 of 7
LowellN
Aspirant

Re: FVG318 - Multiple issues

Must have posted this in the wrong section to not get a single comment.
Message 2 of 7
Glitched
Aspirant

Really difficult to say since the problem is only occurring with mobile devices and laptops are working fine. Was there an update on the mobile devices? If you assign a static IP on the mobile devices are they able to transfer data.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

While looking threw the router I noticed that the date and time are off, to I tried different DST servers with no luck. The router shows -
Current Time: WED DEC 26 12:54:01 GMT-0700 2001
and it is currently -
MON MAR 21 10:13:00 GMT-0700 2011

Does any one have an idea on if these two issues are linked? or a resolution to either.

this NTP sever link up issues. you can try specify different NTP server and see if you can get date updated
Message 4 of 7
chamilton
Aspirant

Interesting. I have the same issue with my FVG318 (v1, I believe). I've had intermittent network connectivity problems in the past through the FVG, but no connectivity issues from either my 'nix box (currently Ubuntu) or my windoze laptop when directly connected to the cable modem.

The most readily identifiable symptom is that the WAN has dropped, and attempting to reconnect the WAN fails to generate a new lease.

The time is fouled (most recently reporting either a date in 2001 or in 1992), and I had a feeling that the time error was preventing the firewall from reconnecting to my isp.

My question is: is there a way to manually set the time so I can sync up?

I tried the following without success:

(1) power cycling the FVG318

(2) power cycling the modem, followed by (1)

(3) changing the NTP servers to two of the us.pool.ntp.org servers (by name, not by IP) followed by Steps (2) and (1). Waiting all day (8 hours +/-) didn't fix the issue.

Is there a way to telnet into the FVG318 and manually set the time so that I can square away the WAN connection issue?

Cheers,

Charley
Message 5 of 7
chamilton
Aspirant

Apologies for the double-post. This issue resolved itself spontaneously this morning. Apparently, this is an issue related to netgear's NTP servers (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=74216), based on similar issues reported by others, and the apparently concurrent resolution of both their problem and mine. Admittedly, correlation is not causation, but it is suggestive at least.

However, for reasons unclear to me, setting the alternate NTP servers to two from ntp.org didn't resolve the problem for me yesterday. I wonder if the server is actually hard-coded, despite offering the option to input alternate values.

I updated my firmware from 2.x.y.43 to 2.x.y.67 yesterday in an effort to resolve the problem, but the date remained wonky.

Just wanted to note that this was apparently a self-clearing jam, although I suspect the root issue is still active. Perhaps someone from netgear can try to diagnose this, as even their newer hardware seems to be subject to the issue.
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

However, for reasons unclear to me, setting the alternate NTP servers to two from ntp.org didn't resolve the problem for me yesterday. I wonder if the server is actually hard-coded, despite offering the option to input alternate values.

fro the prosafe models that has option to specify other NTP server should work with other than default hard coded NTP server in the firmware.

some unit has telnet capabilities to check as well if NTP are saved on right servers or not

current NTP server is cleared for home end routers so that should go away.

I would put trouble ticket far as putting customize NTP server did not take an effect issues at my.netgear.com
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7