× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed connection / "self-assigned IP address"

ahyland
Tutor

Failed connection / "self-assigned IP address"

My EX 2700 worked for several weeks but will no lonter connect to my MacBook. When I go to System Preferenes, I get this message:

Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.54.132 and will not be able to connect to the Internet. 

My knowledge of computers is very basic and I do not know why this has become an issue now. I would like help on how to resolve the problem.  If entering this IP address is what I need to do, where do I enter it? 

Ann

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Failed connection / "self-assigned IP address"

What are you actually trying to do?

Reinstall the extender? 

Have you factory reset it and then tried reinstalling it? 

(use the installation assistant and not wps)

What router is it connected to?

Firmware on the extender?

Message 2 of 5
ahyland
Tutor

Thanks for your reply!

What are you actually trying to do? 

I want the extender to work as my wi-fi connection is poor in parts of my house. So yes, I guess this means I need to re-install the extender.

Have you factory reset it and then tried reinstalling it? 

No. I guess I'm nervous about doing this. But perhaps I'll have to sit down and work out just how to reset and re-install. 

What router is it connected to? 

I use a modem - not sure if that answers this question as I don't know if modem and router are the same. 

Firmware on the extender?

I have no idea - I guess the firmware it was installed with. (It's probably clear now why I am not able to solve my problem - my ignorance of what makes things work with a computer is pretty deep.)

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

to factory reset push and hold the reset button while its powered on. hold for 7-15 seconds. 

Then you can follow the install guide. The support site has 2 install videos. both wps and the installation assistant. 

it also has written guides, manuals, and the firmware. 

I'd recommend using the installation wizard. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX2700.aspx

Many have modem/router combo devices. I'd take a look at the model number on the label 

Message 4 of 5
ahyland
Tutor

Thanks very much ---- I'll do just that in the morning, when I'm feeling more awake! And I'll drop back to say if I managed to get it working. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7