× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update Now Extender Is Broken

dreamtfk
Tutor

Firmware Update Now Extender Is Broken

Just tried to update firmware on my extender and now it appears to be bricked. Repowering does nothing and the factory reset button does nothing either, it doesn't even reset. I just have a constant flashing green power light no matter what I do. It doesn't appear to be getting an IP address and I cannot see it in my router's client list. The product is registered but I only have hardware support. There is no chat, email or phone support so what is the point of hardware support??

Is there a default IP on these? Can I use the ethernet jack to interface with the GUI manually if I hard set the IP on my laptop?

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
dreamtfk
Tutor

Re: Firmware Update Now Extender Is Broken

Anyone? Looks like this is going into the trash and I will never purchase Netgear again.

Message 2 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dreamtfk,

Welcome to the community!

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 10
dreamtfk
Tutor

I have replied, thank you.

Message 4 of 10
ozziator
Aspirant

What did they tell you to do?   I have the same problem. 

Message 5 of 10
dreamtfk
Tutor

I received a call from level two tech and it strongly appears that either the firmware update process went sideways or it completed but just didn't play well with the adapter. We tried to connect to it manually via ethernet cable to downgrade the firmware but couldn't get in. They are going to RMA it, this really shouldn't have happened. I have updated firmware before without issue.

Message 6 of 10
dreamtfk
Tutor

Dexter, I was under the impression my new unit was already sent but now I am being told by soneone named Eduard that I was supposed to send the old unit first. This is not what I was told on the phone. I was told a prepaid return label would be sent with the new unit. I also provided a credit card number. Can you please straighten this out for me?

Message 7 of 10
Peteraitch
Initiate

This firmware update totally destroyed my extender and has rendered it useless -  whatever I do now , it does not transmit the wifi signal.

I tried for 2 hours, and I'm tech-savvy, to get it to work (even restoring to factory-settings)
I even rolled it back to the previous firmware release, but no luck at all.

Thanks, Netgear - for nothing.

I now need to purchase a new wifi extender - no guesses who the supplier will NOT be.

What a farce.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 8 of 10
dreamtfk
Tutor

Netgear sent me a new one after they couldn't troubleshoot the problem. I recently ran a FW update on it and it worked fine. Not sure if they will send you a new one as well but this seems to be more than an isolated issue plaguing this specific model.

Message 9 of 10
Peteraitch
Initiate

Sounds good - I'll contact them and see what they say.

Indeed, it doesn't appear to eb an isolated incident.

Thanks for your heads-up.

P

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7