× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update WN1000RP

Srgza
Aspirant

Firmware update WN1000RP

Hi

I bought and successfully installed the range extender on my existing network. When I logged into the _EXT router, the first page that came up was an update page asking if I wanted to upgrade the firmware as an update was available. I clicked yes, and the router went thru the download and install. It then disappeared as a network and refused to reconnect. After an hour, I switched it off, removed it from the power, then restarted. I now get a constant amber light on the status LED and no visible network. I have tried the factory reset but no flashing amber light, it just stays on. Please help, as I have no idea how to correct this problem!

Many thanks!
Message 1 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware update WN1000RP

If you reset after flashing firmware you have to do all the setup like you as you would open the boxed and setup
Message 2 of 20
Srgza
Aspirant

Hi Jim

Thanks for the response! I did try.. When plugged in again, I waited the one minute for startup, and the light stays amber constantly, and doesn't pick up the existing router.. Also doesn't broadcast a wifi signal from the device that I can log in to.. Hence the problem setting up again!
Any ideas? Or have I fried the device? :eek:
Message 3 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Meaning if you try to login to unit wih PC using Ethernet you can not configure it?
Message 4 of 20
Srgza
Aspirant

Exactly! 😞 unfortunately because of its design, there is no Ethernet port on it..
Message 5 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Correct. I forgot this model don't have it

I would suggest to contact t support at my.netgear.com
Message 6 of 20
Srgza
Aspirant

Thanks for the help this far! 🙂 I've contacted tech support and they're working thru the steps above again 🙂 will see how it goes.. Keep up the good work!
Message 7 of 20
camsbored
Aspirant

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. Any update to your problem?

Thanks!
Message 8 of 20
hrombo
Aspirant

I have experienced EXACTLY the same problem. Looks like the firmware update has corrupted the device 😞
Message 9 of 20
celo53
Guide

This is such a BS on Netgear's site. I am so mad because after I bought this which was two weeks ago, I moved out of the States for 6 months just yesterday! Came home and plugged it. I have the EXACT problem after the firmware update. Why didn't the Netgear tech guys test this before they make it available to the public? I have been trying to make this thing work and finally found this topic and see that I am not the only one who has this problem. I doubt there is anything can be done because there is no ethernet port and the unit is not visible and when you reset, it does not do anything. Arrrghhh. What am I going to do now for six months?
Message 10 of 20
s_henrique
Aspirant

I followed exactly the same steps as Srgza and got the same problem.
So far I tried performing the factory reset by holding it longer than 7 seconds with the device on and off, but nothing changes. I keep getting the constant amber status light and no network shows up and no connection happens.
I just got a brick. :mad:
Message 11 of 20
celo53
Guide

The sad thing is that nobody from Netgear cares!
Message 12 of 20
tmuilenb
Aspirant

Same situation here, although I had actually gotten everything to work correctly and was playing around with placement. Thought I might as well check for a firmware update and apply it - big mistake. Amber status light and no factory reset - bricked.
Will check back for any status updates while I package it up for return to amazon.
Message 13 of 20
scogie
Aspirant

Same issue as everyone else. Firmware update corrupted wifi extender. Contacted support and they confirmed the corruption after the reset failed to fix the issue with the following suggested steps/time frames: a. Press and hold the reset hole while the device is plugged in for 30 seconds. b. Let go of the button and unplug the device for 20 seconds. c. Plug it back in and wait for the Status light to be stable green. I was informed that doing a firmware update is only recommended if connectivity issues are encountered and also that firmware updates rarely work when done wirelessly. No Comment. This product is going back to the store.
Message 14 of 20
celo53
Guide

scogie wrote:
I was informed that doing a firmware update is only recommended if connectivity issues are encountered

That is correct BUT an official update from Netgear should NOT brick the unit. Yes, your current firmware may work better than the newest firmware but no matter what, you should be able to go back to the old firmware. I have never heard an official firmware bricking a unit!
Message 15 of 20
pete_w
Initiate

celo53 wrote:
That is correct BUT an official update from Netgear should NOT brick the unit. Yes, your current firmware may work better than the newest firmware but no matter what, you should be able to go back to the old firmware. I have never heard an official firmware bricking a unit!

Having bricked the unit within the first 10 minutes the first thing I did with the replacement was to turn off checking for updates. You then get a message telling you not to do this because you will miss out on new/improved features. I can not remember the actual words and I am not going near anything with the word update in it until someone reports a succesful upgrade.
Message 16 of 20
celo53
Guide

pete_w wrote:
Having bricked the unit within the first 10 minutes the first thing I did with the replacement was to turn off checking for updates. You then get a message telling you not to do this because you will miss out on new/improved features. I can not remember the actual words and I am not going near anything with the word update in it until someone reports a succesful upgrade.

I am sorry but why would you buy the same unit or even buy Netgear. Maybe it is me but after seeing this issue and OFFICIAL Netgear support not being able to help me with this issue made me not to buy Netgear products anymore. There are others I will give my money to.
Message 17 of 20
riboix
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same problem. Yesterday I've created an incident and after about 2 hours of chating, they advise me to replace the brand-new device. That's what I've done. My problem was, that wifi was working "fine" but without internet access. I'm not sure that a new device will solve the problem.
Message 18 of 20
abu001
Initiate

I've had the same problem that I got from Netgear support:

"Thank you for choosing NETGEAR, my name is ... and I will be your support expert for this case.
Since the assistance is online it may require a few mail exchanges before we can resolve the issue. We will do our best to help resolve your case in the least amount of time.
Based on the information provided, I kindly ask you to follow the troubleshooting steps below in order to solve your issue:
1.Please reset the extender with a paper clip ca 30seconds and reinstall.
2.remove also old wireless profiles from the computers and all other devices.
*If you have PC-open network and sharing center- manage wireless networks and remove all networks.
*Apple units-just forgot networks.
3.Try also change wireless channel to 01 or 02 in your router.
NETGEAR Support"

I used my own solution.
1. Went back to store I've bought the repeater
2. Changed the product
3. Went home, connect, deselcted update funktion.
4. Works fine.

Best,
Abu
Message 19 of 20

scogie wrote:
...I was informed that doing a firmware update is only recommended if connectivity issues are encountered and also that firmware updates rarely work when done wirelessly..

Considering that the firmware update won't even ***SEE*** the device unless you're connected to it from a wireless device (obviously you can't directly connect to it because it doesn't *HAVE* an ethernet or even USB port), not much other option. Unless they meant that to mean you should never EVER update it, in which case that might be correct. In fact, you should never buy it in the first place.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7