× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

AdrianCr
Guide

Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

Hi all,

I have read about multiple issued relating to the R8000 but I seem to be experiencing a similar issue with your EX8000 mesh range extender.I regularly experience an issue (perhaps once an hour) where I lose interernet connection for about 10 - 30 seconds. My connection to the Wifi is always connected it seems to drop the connection between extended and router.

Other details

- I have an Arrius Surfboard router as my cable modem and bought the extender to improve the range upstairs in my house.

- I have manually setup the extender to connect to both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands in a mesh configuration.

- Security is WPA-PSK [AE].

- I have good signal from router to extender and a very strong signal to my devices i.e laptop, android phones/tablets and other such devices. (I have to admit the power of this device is fantastic.)

- I have made sure there are no IP conflicts (DHCP for devices and static and differet addressed for mesh and router).

- Firmward is 1.0.0.126. 

- I do not experience any issues of dropping if I use just the router (without the extender)

I hope someone has a fix, otherwise I will have to return to Amazon as faulty.

Cheers,

Adrian

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 135
idark77
Star

Hi,

i had similar issues with my EX8000. After I updated to lastest firmware 1.0.0.126 the internet connection of all my devices connected to the extender was a nightmare and it was unstable...

I tried to reset, reinstall, change extender WiFi configuration but nothing worked. So before sending it back to Amazon I downgraded it to the 1.0.0.118 version and now after 18 working days (24H/24H always on) it is working flawless.

My suggestion is to downgrade to 1.0.0.118 and let us know  if you solve.

Hope this helps you.

P.S. In the last period I am very unhappy with Netgear products, everytime there is an update I start to pray ( see for example to the Arlo Q camera forum).  

Message 2 of 135
AdrianCr
Guide

Thanksfor your advice. I will give it a try. Bying the best you would expect the best. Perhaps I should look at CIsco or Aruba if this does not work.

Message 3 of 135
AdrianCr
Guide

Thanks again for your advice. I tried out your suggestion and while I would say it did seem a tad better it didn't fully help to maintain a permanent connect. I am going to send it back.

Message 4 of 135
idark77
Star

I’m sorry. My last suggestion is did you try to set a fixed (No DFS) 5GHz Channel in your main Router? Also did you try to disable one WiFi name option on EX8000 ?

Hope this helps you. 

Message 5 of 135

@idark77 You mention downgrading to .118 - is there a special technique to this? I've downloaded the EX8000-V1.0.0.118 firmware but when I attempt to downgrade via the web interface I get:

"This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

Any pointers very welcome

Message 6 of 135

Another issue with this new firmware is that when the wifi drops on the EX8000, any Apple devices using Bonjour (the zero-configuration network tech -zeroconf) drops pretty seriously. The only way to get those services back up is to power cycle the EX8000.

Message 7 of 135
AdrianCr
Guide

I never had an issue with the downgrade, perhaps clear your werb cache and try downloading again? Unfortunatly the downgrade did not resolve my problem, I did not have chance to try the other suggested resolution. I sent it back before I recieved the suggestion. Good luck and I hope you have better luck that I did.

Message 8 of 135

Good to know that even if I managed to downgrade there would still be problems so I'm not missing much!

So frustrating that Netgear pushes out such shoddy firmware

Message 9 of 135
Sindric
Aspirant

Re: Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

I am having the same issue with this firmware version too. (1.0.0.126)  I have also tried downgrading and got the same issue wrong firmware version.

I have tried setting the fixed 5GHz Channel in my main Router - Still not helping.

I have aslo tried setting the EX8000 up as an Access Point (so direct wired connection to main Router) and the issue is the same.  

i have the feeling that it is switching between the Antennas and is dropping all connections to the router. Even when it is by LAN connection.

So for the moment i have just disabled one of the Antenna and wait and see if that helps...

and will wait for Netgear to hopfuly put out a fix.

Message 10 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

Can some please post instructions on how to downgrade the firmware. Obvisuoily the web interface doesn't allow it!

Message 11 of 135
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @flyturbo,

Welcome to the community!

Once on the extender's UI and on the Firmware Update tab, there is an "Upload Update File" box where you can point the extracted firmware file of the EX8000 found on this link.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @flyturbo,

Welcome to the community!

Once on the extender's UI and on the Firmware Update tab, there is an "Upload Update File" box where you can point the extracted firmware file of the EX8000 found on this link.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Dexter, I was referring to downgrading the firmware and was not asking for "how to manually upload a firmware file".

In case you haven't caught on, I am having major issue with the extender, .do you have any solutions for me? Please do not ask me what issues am having because i have posted in this thread and 2 other ones.

Bruno

Unhappy netgear owner.

Message 13 of 135
AdrianCr
Guide

Hi Bruno,

First download the old firmware and then follow Dexter's advice, pointing to the old firmware file.

Like I did, you can try to rule out possible causes

1. Conflict between wireless router and mesh router

Sindric's answer (previously) is probably the best to narrow down the problem i.e using the device as a wired extender. i.e connected by a ethernet cable to the router. If the fault persists then the issue must be with the extender. Just make sure you setup the wired extender with a static non conflicting address AND obviously turn off the wireless on your router!!! 

2. Conflict between extender and device

I would also suggest connecting one PC like device to test at a time. There could be issues with the Network card in other devices that are causing the problem. Some Windows 10 devices can have a dynamic MAC addresses turned on. Suggest you disable that feature for now. 

3. Conflict of bands - Turn just one band on at a time.

PS. I gave up and sent mine back. Like you I was upset with the lack of service and that there is no logs to even remotely point to a problem. 

PPS. Almost 2 months to the day I received an email from support suggesting I call them. 2 Months. Wow.

Cheers,

Adrian

Message 14 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

This is the error I get when trying to downgrade the firmware to EX8000-V1.0.0.118.zip;

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

Message 15 of 135
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @flyturbo, Did you unzip the file before trying to downgrade? The firmware will have either a .chk or a .img extension.

Message 16 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

Downgrading work after unzipping the file. I will report back in a few days with news whether or not this firmware has same issues with clients mot able to reconnect.

Message 17 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

Downgrading to an older firmware as suggested, did a reset and it didn't work, still having issues with device connecting to the extender. They connect to extender on reboot, but if client device goes offline and comes back, it show either as connected with no Internet or can't connect at all. If I shutdown extender device connects right away to router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S)

I also tried playing around with the 20/40 MHz Coexistence on both router and extender but no changes to behavior..

I'm out of thing to try.

Message 18 of 135
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

Please try updating to the latest FW version (1.0.1.164) for the EX8000 since one other user confirmed that it has fixed the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi all,

Please try updating to the latest FW version (1.0.1.164) for the EX8000 since one other user confirmed that it has fixed the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

I was on the lastest FW and had the issues and As previously posted downgrading didn’t solve any issues, so I am now back on the latest firmware and still same issues as day one. I have also done a reset after every firmware change and manually enter the exact same settings.

Please let me know how I can get in contact with Netgear so I can get a replacement unit because it seems that I have seen 2 other people with same problem had have theirs units replaced. 

I have already open a case but got no support from them.

Message 20 of 135
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @flyturbo,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 21 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

Hi all, 

A bit new to all this but I also have an issue with the EX8000 dropping the internet to my wired devices.

I have three PCs wired to the EX8000 and this inturn is wirelessly connected to my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. The R7000 has been really good but since connecting the EX8000 I have issues with my PCs dropping the internet, even though they are wired.

I saw a thread relating to setting a static IP address but not so sure how I would do this, on the R7000 or EX8000??

Message 22 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

I have had the same issues since day one. I downloaded the latest firmware on Sunday  and surprisingly it’s holding up. Only time will tell.

The latest firmware isn’t available yet from the extender, you will have to download it from Netgear’s download page. Don’t forget to unzip the file, you need to upload the *.Img file.

good luck to you 

Message 23 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

Hi Turbo, 

Just updated to teh 180 firmware so lets see how it goes, thanks for letting me know that there was new firmware. I have also set teh EX8000 with a static IP (I figured out how to do it al on my ownsome!!).

Message 24 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

Ok, just changed to the new firmware (180) and now the EX800 says no cnnection for my 5Ghz network but teh 5GHz light is on? any ideas do I have a 5g connection??

Message 25 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7