× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

MightyAtom
Guide

Mine is still poor! Keeps dropping teh link to teh routre and not only that the throughput is not what is expected. I am now resigned togetting  TP LINK powerline kit for the study and placing teh EX8000 in the round file.

Extremely disapointed and now £100 down 

Message 101 of 135
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Attractive & MightyAtom - Would you mind providing me with the firmware version the extender is currently on. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 102 of 135
Attractive
Aspirant

Hi Christian,
V 1.0.1.202
Message 103 of 135
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Attractive - Thanks for getting back. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further investigation. Please send me a message with your contact info. 

~Christian 

Message 104 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

My Firmware V1.0.1.202 also

Message 105 of 135
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MightyAtom - Please send me a message with your contact info as I'd like for our Support Team to reach out to you.

~Christian 

Message 106 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

Please update all of us as to any resolution on this issue! We all are having the same issues it seems.
Non connection or not staying connected
Message 107 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@Kicoman wrote:
Please update all of us as to any resolution on this issue! We all are having the same issues it seems.
Non connection or not staying connected

Resolution; Return unit and get your money back. Then for half the price, go out and buy a Linksys RE9000 MU-MIMO WiFi Extender

I have been problem/issue free for months!

Message 108 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

Hi Kicoman et al, 

So other than supplying various logs there has been no resolution. Indeed the suport team are located in Malaysia.  That said I had other issues such as the extender which had 4 ethernet cables connected from it to three laptops and a Hive power hub and believe it or not at times it would randomly drop the wired connection to one or more devices whilst other were still connected, how does that work? - I cannot win. Anyway round file - done. 

Message 109 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

Therein is the problem.

Malaysia support
Message 110 of 135
st_evil
Aspirant

I have tried several firmwares now, they all have the same issues.

having run some network tests over several devices it looks like the x6s is just "losing" connection to the router for a minute.

The router is accepting and transmitting data just fine to all other devices.

As a side note the device has been functioning fine for 2 months and I have made no network changes.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 111 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

Additional information on EX8000.

Internal clock is always wrong. Regardless of Automatic Time Server adjustment or Manual Sync Adjustment it seems to be very slow in time keeping.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 112 of 135
Sylpheed
Aspirant

Hi All

Just sharing my expeerience on this issue. I've been having this problem too myself

Main Router: Asus RT-AC88U

Extender : EX8000

NetGear EX8000 Firmware - latest as of today's posting.

To further debug the case, i purposely set the extender's wifi SID to be different then main router's SID

MainRouter's 2.4Ghz - no issues

MainRouter's 5.0Ghz- no issues

Extender's 2.4Ghz - no issues

Extender's 5.0Ghz - constant disconnects.

i use IPTools to ping a site (172.217.31.36) constantly for every second. 

- When there's an internet drop - i'll get up to 10 pings (10 seconds of drop) 

though single second drops (1 ping drops) happens sometimes even for the 2.4ghz or MainRouter's 5.0Ghz, but it's no where as bad as consecutively 10-20 ping drops.

After fiddling around many things, finally i decided to disable MainRouter's 5.0Ghz to test, for some reason now my Extender's 5.0Ghz is much much more stable.

i still get the occassional 1 ping drop, or maybe up to 3 ping drop, but no more 10 ping drops. It's much more bareable now. 

So far tested only for an hour, but hopefully things turn out good for the rest of the day. 

Message 113 of 135
st_evil
Aspirant

I have RMA-d my device on the off chance it was a fault in the hardware.

The "new" device I received is exhibiting the same issue, it appears this device is also on a much older firmware so I'm no longer sure this is even related to new firmware.

I'm glad I have an old extender from another seemingly more reliable brand lying around that works flawlessly, but its' much slower.

As for the netgear ex8000, it's now an expensive paperweight for which I will try and get a refund. even on just the 2.4 bands it drops every now and then, though much less than 5g bands. I can clearly see from the status page the netgear device is dropping the connection between itself and the router at random, actually connecting to the netgear device over wifi/cable works fine. (and i've tested the routers 5g with other devices)

Message 114 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

I really do not know what to say, other than mine has long gone to the round file and is now probably in bits being sold for any scrap value!

Truly a poor piece of WiFi equipment. Netgear really did drop the ball on this one.

Message 115 of 135
Jonnyspeed
Aspirant

I REALLY wish I would have read these post BEFORE purchasing this device. I just installed it this week. Updated to latest firmware and I have the exact same issues as posted on the previous 5 pages.... This is such a frustration. Not to mention the hassle it was to install. I use access control which I had to disable until all the duplicate IP/Hostname's were created with new MAC IDs. Then my IP reservations blew up in my router because again, same IPs but new MACs, which caused IP conflicts. After I sorted that I thought I was good. Nope, now the dreaded Internet drop. Both bands, multiple devices, random times, no internet... Ugh. Sounds like I should return to Best Buy and get something else. Or has there finally been a fix?

Message 116 of 135
James408
Aspirant

Take it back! It’s not worth the headache.

I purchased this product because I have a netgear router. I ended returning it and getting a linksys instead. Much better, no issues and works with my nighthawk router
Message 117 of 135
Sylpheed
Aspirant

Hi all update.

In the end. No matter what I tried to use the ex8000 as AP. It won't work.

In the end the only thing that works was changing it to be WiFi repeater instead of AP. That worked with no more signal drops.

I
Message 118 of 135
Sylpheed
Aspirant

Latest update.

Signal started dropping again, few things i realized

1. DNS for my extender - i set it to 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 seems to be dropping often.

2. My client decide (Samsung phones have no problem after step#1 is changed, however, huawei devices still have signal drops)

Message 119 of 135
Sylpheed
Aspirant

Recently my network has been dropping again consiistantly. I found 1 fix that will sure fix the problem temporarily though.

1. Use static IP address

2. Connect to 5ghz network

3. Once successfully connected, forcefully change the IP address again to something else.

4. Enjoy stable connection for the next few minutes.

- from my experience, this is stable for at least 30mins, but upon disconnect from the network, you'll need to repeat these steps again. 

Message 120 of 135
MightyAtom
Guide

Alternativly put the EX8000 in the bin buy a Linksys RE6500 and enjoy D#days not hours of trouble free extended wifi

Message 121 of 135
rune60625
Aspirant

Like most here i am having the same issue.  The 2.4 band works, but the 5 band droped all the time, and any device either gets unable to connect to internet, or just doesn't connect.   Buil 1.0.1.206 amd the rax200 has V1.0.2.8_1.0.45.  I just changed the primary channel to 40 on both, it was on dfs 64.  Everything i have tried does not keep the ex8000 online.  

Tim

Message 122 of 135
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Hi all,

I just wanted to add my experience to this also as a long time Netgear (and Nighthawk) user.

I have an R9000 with an EX8000 extender (recently added). Setup was easy, and all is running now across the estate on one SSID using SmartConnect on the router and One Connect (I think it's called) on the Externder.

However, even though I have a static IP Address, there are a few issues:

• WiFi clients often don't see an "internet connection" when connected - this might be a SmartConnect issue, but either way, the only way around this is a reboot, or to force the client (if a mobile device) to use the wireless network anyway as the internet DOES work, and does not fall back onto mobile data (strange).
  • More infuriating, intermittently, the Extender will stop responding to pings or  web interface logon attempts, despite continuing to server up leases to new clients and facilitate internet access. The only resolution I found here is to bounce the unit.

I cannot carry on like this and at this point I'm looking at Netgear alternatives after a decade of using them. Orbi was trialled twice in my house over the last 3 years and every time it flattered to deceive with the single SSID failing often.

I'm at a loss now...

Message 123 of 135
fordianslip
Tutor

I experienced similar issues. I returned my original EX8000 to Best Buy for a new unit -- same issues occurred.

Netgear blamed it on the R7000, so they RMA'd it and sent me a new unit. 

Same issues.

Fed up with their poor software and firmware, I installed Fresh Tomato. I have had a stable connection to my WIFI since.

HOWEVER, I have a CM700 modem, and routinely it has been having issues. Sometimes I can't access it's properties page. Looked into it, it has the Puma 6 chip set which is apparently hot garbage.

Perhaps, this all stems from poor firmware on the routers side, further complicated by an incredibly bad modem.

Whole experience has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I may just return both the extender and the modem to Best Buy and buy a whole new linksys package. My old AC1900 Linksys worked like a beast and I didn't even have to flash a custom firmware.

Message 124 of 135
iNeedHelpPLEASE
Aspirant

Rif.: Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 125 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7