× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

NJMobile
Tutor

Re: Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

@Kicoman wrote:
Been running solid with latest firmware for 3 weeks now that I have had it.
But Voxels modified Netgear firmware did work on the R9000 for me with a solid connection to the EX8000.

After reviewing the ReadMe page at Voxel it seems a half mile above my understanding of what’s needed to install the firmware.  Too bad for me cause I definitely don’t need my R7000 to emulate a Brick.  LOL

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 76 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

Piece of cake. Just use his version as a "firmware upgrade"..

You can also revert back to OEM by doing the same thing as before using firmware upgrade. Really it should be labeled flashing firmware instead of firmware update

His Readme contains a huge amount of extraneous stuff on Entware, SSH and such. I don't use it.
Message 77 of 135
amnlupiano
Aspirant

Having the same issues as everyone...constant drops.  Was running 164 without issue...decided to take a chance on 186...no luck...dropping like crazy.

Going to roll it back...again...C'mon Netgear...fix this stupid bug already!

Message 78 of 135
davidferguson
Aspirant

Shocking hardware/software.

Same here constantly saying no internet
Message 79 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

If you are running a non Netgear Router, to the EX8000, I have seen that attempting to use the router in a 5 Ghz pure AC environment will keep or unable the connection to the EX8000 from occurring.  A mixed N/AC mode will allow it to connect.  However this defeats the purpose of the true AC support.   This is especially true using DD-WRT as a router OS.

Message 80 of 135
davidferguson
Aspirant

Mine is hardwired directly to my Netgear router, how is it even possible that is says it's disconnected from the internet.

I think I lies ...
Message 81 of 135
amnlupiano
Aspirant

I "think" I may have gotten it to work again.  After downgrading my EX8000 firmware to 164, I continued having issues.  Previously, this version ran fine, so something else changed.  I looked at my Netgear X4S R7800 router.  It too did a firmware upgrade...I had inadvertantly allowed it to do it automatically.  It was now running version 60.  So, I downgraded that firmware as well, back to 58.  I made sure my repeater remained on a static ip address (which it did), verified my 5 ghz channel remained (140) and ran some tests.  I allowed the repeater to run Smart Setup again, to make sure it locked on the router correctly (mesh network).  So far, it's working again.  I have not had any drops in the last 24 hours.   Keeping my fingers crossed that this may have been the issue: combination of firmware bugs in BOTH the router and the repeater.  

Message 82 of 135

So I was able to return my EX8000 after a long long story.  I was outside the return policy of the retailer I bought it from but I was within the 90 day support of NETGEAR.  To get a full return within the 90 day purchase date was like getting wisdom teeth extracted dealing with NETGEAR, but IT GOT DONE!

Lessons learned:

Buy from a source that allows returns within a reasonable time.  15 days IS NOT REASONABLE to figure out all the bugs with these devices.  Buy it from AMZN or something with at least a 30 day return ploicy.

So weeks later I decided to try another NETGEAR product.  I only need a simple solution and went with a NETGEAR refurb EX6100 sold by WALMART for just $20.  To keep this real short (although it takes time to realize issues) this product is also a fail.  The DL throughput on the 5Ghz network drops drastically after reboot and settles down around 5-8Mbs.  Initially I get 60-70Mbs on a clear 5Ghz channel from a aggregate ISP of 200Mbs.  But then magically it drops to 5-8Mbs.  No QOS involved.

This EX6100 goes back to WALMART tomorrow and I'm done with NETGEAR forever.

Message 83 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

So now that we have all have confirmed that Netgear extenders are a piece of junk and we have all return them, what can it be replaced with?  I was thinking of getting 2 of these https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AC3100/

Message 84 of 135

I don't need a tri-band extender so I just ordered this last night:

https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/WL-WN579X3.html

I need at least 2 hardwired ETH ports and this device has them.

Looks like newegg has best deal and a good return policy, which is key when buying stuff like this.  Need enough time to fully test it.

Message 85 of 135

So I bought this device as a replacement for an EX8000 and a refurb EX6100, which both are junk and wasted a lot of my time.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6PF7AK3743

I have 2 clients hardwired into this, one of which is sending data 24/7.  I have been running this for a few days now and I am completely happy.  Speed is stable and wifi signal is really strong/stable for other clients (ROKUs/phones/laptops).

The setup GUI is obviously Chinese developed but useable.  I'll post an update again one last time later on because sometimes it takes a few weeks to get a final verdict.

Message 86 of 135

I'm still very happy with this Chinese made Wavelink extender.  Excellent range and STABLE!

Message 87 of 135
James408
Aspirant

Unfortunately, after trying for a few days, upgrading, downgrading the firmware.  Rebooting, factory resetting, every time I try to connect my Apple devices to the extender, the wifi network comes crashing down.  It's unfortunate because the Nighthawk router I have works very well, but has a weak signal upstairs.

Ultimately, I ended up going with a Linksys AC3000 Max-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender.  So far it is working perfectly.  Wish Netgear would fix the issue, they are losing customers.  Not sure why they wouldn't fix such a huge issue with their range extenders.

Message 88 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

I threw everything I could along for 6 months with Netgear level 1 support up until they deciding to refund in full after they had sent me a replacement unit. 

I am happy to have rid of the unit has it was taking up most of my time trying to figure out what the issue could have been. 

Thank James408 for the heads up on the Linksys AC3000 Max-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender! I just purchased one from Amazon and will report back the status. 

Message 89 of 135
ChetC
Aspirant

I had the same issues as everyone here with lost internet connection and DNS not working. For some reason the internal LAN remains connected.

I tried different FW new and old but they all had same issue with my extenders and Comcast 1Gb gateway.

Tried different channels with and without DFS ... still same issue.

Just a suggestion for the rest of you that are out of warranty ...

I now have timers connected to my extenders to power off at 3am and power on at 3:01am. It's the only thing that works without impacting the family.

It's really sad that these otherwise great devices have these issues (as they are NOT cheap!).

Good luck and I think I'll go back to Linksys next time.

Message 90 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Some have reported that recent FW is not working right on the 8000. Others reported that revertting back to last working version helps. You don't always have to update FW. I have a friend who uses a EX8000. Zero issues. I'll see what version he has loaded. 

Message 91 of 135

Yeah, right, no issue. That's a bunch of baloney. They all have similar problems even across different manufacturers. Just buy a simple extender like the one I recommended above. It works great and fairly cheap.
Message 92 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

DD-WRT has significant issues trying to connect to the EX8000.

Voxels updated libraries Netgear Firmware on a R9000 works great. No issues now
Message 93 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe some issues in FW on the EX, however other problems may be else where that make it seems like the EX maybe at fault when its not. 

EX does work. There are some factors that have to be looked at to really figure out where the problem is. My EX7700 is working well for me. So is my friends EX8000. However his is connected to a NG XR500. His EX8000 is loaded with v186. Zero problems. 

Message 94 of 135
joker7380
Aspirant

I really wish I would have read this thread before buying these Netgear products because I'm having the same issue of dropped connections and I've only had my Netgear router, modem, and extender for less than a month, smh. It looks like I'm going to have to send back the extender because that seems to be the main culprit, according to this thread. 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 95 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@joker7380 wrote:

I really wish I would have read this thread before buying these Netgear products because I'm having the same issue of dropped connections and I've only had my Netgear router, modem, and extender for less than a month, smh. It looks like I'm going to have to send back the extender because that seems to be the main culprit, according to this thread. 

I replaced this horrible netgear Mesh with a Linksys RE9000 and has been running for several months with ZERO issues. 

Check out this review

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33168-linksys-re9000-mu-mimo-range-extende...

Message 96 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is loaded on the EX?
What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router the NG extender is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and extender(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using on the main host router?

@joker7380 wrote:

Message 97 of 135
Lurch1971
Aspirant

Run as fast as you can from this product.  Tried two of them, all the same problems as listed above.  Spent over 4 hours on the phone with support on 4 different phone calls.  Support is obviously not in America and the techs are hard to understand at best. Becasue I have limited cell signal my phone connects via WiFi calling. I explained this to the tech and let them know that when the router or externder was rebooted, they could not call right back as I would not get the calll. 3 different times this happened and 3 times they called back immediately only to leave a message and force me to play the on-hold game again (never less than 30 minutes).  One tech had the gall to tell me to just call back and I would get right in. Yeah, right!  On the final call, I explained the situation and asked to be elevated. The tech kept probing.  Again asked to be escalated. Finally put me on hold for 5 minutes only to come back and say no manager was available to escalate to. At this point I hung up, returned the product to Best Buy and will try some other product.  Too bad because the router is nice and seems to work well. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 98 of 135
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Lurch1971, 

I'd like to assist with support following up on your case. When you get a chance, please send me a message with your email address and case number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 99 of 135
Attractive
Aspirant

Netgear, you suck!

This “internet dropping” problem is listed like forever and you are doing NOTHING to resolve this.

I’m so disappointed that you are selling premium priced equipment with crap software.

I have to restart my Extender daily, in order to use it. If not, is says that I’m connected to it, but with no internet.

The DFS WiFi is a joke also... tried to manually change the channel, is says applying, it restarts itself and afterwards it is on the same channel.

I don’t have the option to select a non-DFS network. Common.... it’s 2019.... you cannot sell this donuts anymore...

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 100 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7