× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fool me twice (or more) – which device should one REALLY pick?

Andrejj
Initiate

Fool me twice (or more) – which device should one REALLY pick?

ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: Who can confirm or deny that a Nighthawk X6S EX8000 (or an X4S AC2200) accommodates all requirements (described below) from a single device, please?

Requirement #1 – extend wireless LAN range: A network needs to get transmitted around walls that hinder the signal from passing through.

Requirement #2 – avoid sacrificing unneccessary speed: I would like to achieve the objective of Requirement #1 without sacrificing unnecessary speed. This is important because hooking the extender up via cabled Ethernet is not a possibility, I have to do so via WiFi.

Requirement #3 – channel bonding: Finally, I would like to (a) hide away the annoying underlying complexity of using different radio bands (2.4 and 5GHz) and (b) bundle these together – into a single SSID network broadcast; a so-called “One WiFi Name” concept.

Besides from my prioritized point (a) of cmfortable ease, marketing material promise to (b) enhance the throughput speed; from the theoretical 300Mbps (inherent of the IEEE 802.11n standard) speed capacity into a potentially whopping 1200Mbps (of the 802.11ac standard …which BTW the router doesn’t support anyway, so let’s forget about it)! Let me say that in practice I am skeptical to achieving such figures, but if one can get some kind of performance boost from channel bonding it would certainly be better than nothing.

Potentially,in the future a Requirement #4 could surface: It would be about an ability to use multiple repeater device(s) to enable >1 directional “network leg(s) or corner(s)”, favorably in a meshed way. However, this is not a demand I’ve prioritized for now.

Background factor #1 – multi-vendor setup: The device that the wireless network needs to be extend from comes from a different manufacturer (ZyXEL). This is branded as a “wireless router modem” (the model is P8702N v2, rare outside of Norway). Compared to no-nonsense business grade equipment this is rather cheap stuff (so-called “customer premise equipment” or CPE for short), but unless one would accept a monthly reoccurring subscription premium, this is what the telco/ISP (Telenor) provides. Subsequently, a multi-vendor setup must be taken into account.

Background factor #2 – misleading information: First, I bought a NetGear WN3000RPv3 Range Extender (in all practical senses a traditional N300). It worked well in the sense that it served Requirement #1, but not the #2 and/or -3 (as mentioned above). But then I came across another fairly similar device; an EX6120 with “AC1200 Dual Band”. The product packaging indicated that my yet-to-be-realized additional requirements could be achieved too, so I purchased it. The idea was to replace that first device with a better one (or alternatively, perhaps set up both devices to achieve something like Requirement #4). But a “not-so-nice” untold message was hidden in there; such channel bonding will only be enabled if the device gets configured into an *access point (AP) mode* setup!

Background factor #3 – fear of further misleading information: A tech support case produced some recommendations. One NetGear representative pointed at their Nighthawk Mesh Extenders, specifically models EX7700 and EX8000, plus another AX Mesh Extender; model EAX80.

Besides, a vendor advertisement claims there’s yet another model that offers similar features in a more compact format, and it can even be conveniently inserted into a power socket (design similar to those models already purchased). This last candidate also belongs to the Nighthawk product range, and it’s called X4S (model AC2200). Between the X6S EX8000 and the X4S the prices on the street differ pretty little (approx. USD 213 versus 169 – or NOK 1890 vs. 1499).

Conclusion: Now that I’ve been fooled several times (and/or lacked sufficient homework studies), I’ve almost come to a surrender. Either I’ll have to get RELIABLE VERIFICATION of the hope that Nighthawk gear can actually provide the required qualities, or I’ll have to buy far more expensive business grade equipment.

OK sorry, I’ll repeat the initial question: Who can confirm or deny that a Nighthawk X6S EX8000 (or an X4S AC2200) accommodates all requirements (as described above) from a single device, please?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Fool me twice (or more) – which device should one REALLY pick?

@Andrejj wrote:

ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: Who can confirm or deny that a Nighthawk X6S EX8000 (or an X4S AC2200) accommodates all requirements (described below) from a single device, please?

Requirement #1 – extend wireless LAN range: A network needs to get transmitted around walls that hinder the signal from passing through.----transmitting around is walls isn't a simple request. Some walls block wifi better than others. A simple drywall/wood stud wall is fairly easy. A plaster lathe/brick/concrete/metal wall all is going to block wifi and be more challenging. so it isn't as simple as "will it broadcast through a wall"

Requirement #2 – avoid sacrificing unneccessary speed: I would like to achieve the objective of Requirement #1 without sacrificing unnecessary speed. This is important because hooking the extender up via cabled Ethernet is not a possibility, I have to do so via WiFi.---single and dual band extenders by their very nature drop the speeds that they receive by 50%. This happens because they have to use the same chip to go router====extender  and then extender-------device. And they can't do both at once. And I say "the speed they receive' because distance and obstruction are going to drop speeds as well. The triband extenders (and triband mesh systems) help negate this by having a dedicated 3rd band just for router/extender/satellite connection. This prevents that drop in speeds just by being an extender. not saying they won't have a speed decrease because of distance/obstruction. 

Requirement #3 – channel bonding: Finally, I would like to (a) hide away the annoying underlying complexity of using different radio bands (2.4 and 5GHz) and (b) bundle these together – into a single SSID network broadcast; a so-called “One WiFi Name” concept.---The mesh extenders work at this. So do mesh systems. I'd look at the triband mesh systems. 

Besides from my prioritized point (a) of cmfortable ease, marketing material promise to (b) enhance the throughput speed; from the theoretical 300Mbps (inherent of the IEEE 802.11n standard)----2.4ghz won't get even slightly close to that.  speed capacity into a potentially whopping 1200Mbps (of the 802.11ac standard …which BTW the router doesn’t support anyway, so let’s forget about it)! Let me say that in practice I am skeptical to achieving such figures, but if one can get some kind of performance boost from channel bonding it would certainly be better than nothing.

Potentially,in the future a Requirement #4 could surface: It would be about an ability to use multiple repeater device(s) to enable >1 directional “network leg(s) or corner(s)”, favorably in a meshed way. However, this is not a demand I’ve prioritized for now.---if you're planning on adding extenders/satellites. Look into the mesh systems. I generally don't recommend adding more than a single mesh extender to a system unless they can be setup in a star configuration and not daisy chained because nothing is controlling the system. If you're needing daisy chained, look at the triband mesh solutions like orbi. 

star:   extender<--------router--------->extender

daisy chained:  router------->extender------>extender

Background factor #1 – multi-vendor setup: The device that the wireless network needs to be extend from comes from a different manufacturer (ZyXEL). This is branded as a “wireless router modem” (the model is P8702N v2, rare outside of Norway). Compared to no-nonsense business grade equipment this is rather cheap stuff (so-called “customer premise equipment” or CPE for short), but unless one would accept a monthly reoccurring subscription premium, this is what the telco/ISP (Telenor) provides. Subsequently, a multi-vendor setup must be taken into account.----If you're going with a full mesh system, you have 3 options. 

1. put the zyxel in router mode, the netgear in access point mode. 

2. put the zyxel in modem only/passthrough mode. leave the netgear in router mode

3. put the netgears IP address into the zyxel's DMZ

these would prevent a double nat. 

Background factor #2 – misleading information: First, I bought a NetGear WN3000RPv3 Range Extender (in all practical senses a traditional N300). It worked well in the sense that it served Requirement #1, but not the #2 and/or -3 (as mentioned above).----You're right. it was horrible slow and inefficient. The most basic of extenders.  But then I came across another fairly similar device; an EX6120 with “AC1200 Dual Band”. The product packaging indicated that my yet-to-be-realized additional requirements could be achieved too, so I purchased it. The idea was to replace that first device with a better one (or alternatively, perhaps set up both devices to achieve something like Requirement #4). But a “not-so-nice” untold message was hidden in there; such channel bonding will only be enabled if the device gets configured into an *access point (AP) mode* setup!---it wasn't a mesh extender. didn't have mesh capability. I think the EX6250v2 started with mesh. 

Background factor #3 – fear of further misleading information: A tech support case produced some recommendations. One NetGear representative pointed at their Nighthawk Mesh Extenders, specifically models EX7700 and EX8000, plus another AX Mesh Extender; model EAX80.----not sure what your router is but I have the EX8000. Its a rock solid extender that you can set either of the 5ghz bands as the backhaul. one is wider than the other. 

Besides, a vendor advertisement claims there’s yet another model that offers similar features in a more compact format, and it can even be conveniently inserted into a power socket (design similar to those models already purchased). This last candidate also belongs to the Nighthawk product range, and it’s called X4S (model AC2200---thats a speed, not a model. ). Between the X6S EX8000 and the X4S the prices on the street differ pretty little (approx. USD 213 versus 169 – or NOK 1890 vs. 1499).

Again, If you're planning on having more than 1, spend the extra from the start for a mesh system. 

Conclusion: Now that I’ve been fooled several times (and/or lacked sufficient homework studies), I’ve almost come to a surrender. Either I’ll have to get RELIABLE VERIFICATION of the hope that Nighthawk gear can actually provide the required qualities, or I’ll have to buy far more expensive business grade equipment.

OK sorry, I’ll repeat the initial question: Who can confirm or deny that a Nighthawk X6S EX8000 (or an X4S AC2200) accommodates all requirements (as described above) from a single device, please?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@Andrejj wrote:

Requirement #1 – extend wireless LAN range: A network needs to get transmitted around walls that hinder the signal from passing through.----transmitting around is walls isn't a simple request. Some walls block wifi better than others. A simple drywall/wood stud wall is fairly easy. A plaster lathe/brick/concrete/metal wall all is going to block wifi and be more challenging. so it isn't as simple as "will it broadcast through a wall"

Requirement #2 – avoid sacrificing unneccessary speed: I would like to achieve the objective of Requirement #1 without sacrificing unnecessary speed. This is important because hooking the extender up via cabled Ethernet is not a possibility, I have to do so via WiFi.---single and dual band extenders by their very nature drop the speeds that they receive by 50%. This happens because they have to use the same chip to go router====extender  and then extender-------device. And they can't do both at once. And I say "the speed they receive' because distance and obstruction are going to drop speeds as well. The triband extenders (and triband mesh systems) help negate this by having a dedicated 3rd band just for router/extender/satellite connection. This prevents that drop in speeds just by being an extender. not saying they won't have a speed decrease because of distance/obstruction. 

Requirement #3 – channel bonding: Finally, I would like to (a) hide away the annoying underlying complexity of using different radio bands (2.4 and 5GHz) and (b) bundle these together – into a single SSID network broadcast; a so-called “One WiFi Name” concept.---The mesh extenders work at this. So do mesh systems. I'd look at the triband mesh systems. 

Besides from my prioritized point (a) of cmfortable ease, marketing material promise to (b) enhance the throughput speed; from the theoretical 300Mbps (inherent of the IEEE 802.11n standard)----2.4ghz won't get even slightly close to that.  speed capacity into a potentially whopping 1200Mbps (of the 802.11ac standard …which BTW the router doesn’t support anyway, so let’s forget about it)! Let me say that in practice I am skeptical to achieving such figures, but if one can get some kind of performance boost from channel bonding it would certainly be better than nothing.

Potentially,in the future a Requirement #4 could surface: It would be about an ability to use multiple repeater device(s) to enable >1 directional “network leg(s) or corner(s)”, favorably in a meshed way. However, this is not a demand I’ve prioritized for now.---if you're planning on adding extenders/satellites. Look into the mesh systems. I generally don't recommend adding more than a single mesh extender to a system unless they can be setup in a star configuration and not daisy chained because nothing is controlling the system. If you're needing daisy chained, look at the triband mesh solutions like orbi. 

star:   extender<--------router--------->extender

daisy chained:  router------->extender------>extender

Background factor #1 – multi-vendor setup: The device that the wireless network needs to be extend from comes from a different manufacturer (ZyXEL). This is branded as a “wireless router modem” (the model is P8702N v2, rare outside of Norway). Compared to no-nonsense business grade equipment this is rather cheap stuff (so-called “customer premise equipment” or CPE for short), but unless one would accept a monthly reoccurring subscription premium, this is what the telco/ISP (Telenor) provides. Subsequently, a multi-vendor setup must be taken into account.----If you're going with a full mesh system, you have 3 options. 

1. put the zyxel in router mode, the netgear in access point mode. 

2. put the zyxel in modem only/passthrough mode. leave the netgear in router mode

3. put the netgears IP address into the zyxel's DMZ

these would prevent a double nat. 

Background factor #2 – misleading information: First, I bought a NetGear WN3000RPv3 Range Extender (in all practical senses a traditional N300). It worked well in the sense that it served Requirement #1, but not the #2 and/or -3 (as mentioned above).----You're right. it was horrible slow and inefficient. The most basic of extenders.  But then I came across another fairly similar device; an EX6120 with “AC1200 Dual Band”. The product packaging indicated that my yet-to-be-realized additional requirements could be achieved too, so I purchased it. The idea was to replace that first device with a better one (or alternatively, perhaps set up both devices to achieve something like Requirement #4). But a “not-so-nice” untold message was hidden in there; such channel bonding will only be enabled if the device gets configured into an *access point (AP) mode* setup!---it wasn't a mesh extender. didn't have mesh capability. I think the EX6250v2 started with mesh. 

Background factor #3 – fear of further misleading information: A tech support case produced some recommendations. One NetGear representative pointed at their Nighthawk Mesh Extenders, specifically models EX7700 and EX8000, plus another AX Mesh Extender; model EAX80.----not sure what your router is but I have the EX8000. Its a rock solid extender that you can set either of the 5ghz bands as the backhaul. one is wider than the other. 

Besides, a vendor advertisement claims there’s yet another model that offers similar features in a more compact format, and it can even be conveniently inserted into a power socket (design similar to those models already purchased). This last candidate also belongs to the Nighthawk product range, and it’s called X4S (model AC2200---thats a speed, not a model. ). Between the X6S EX8000 and the X4S the prices on the street differ pretty little (approx. USD 213 versus 169 – or NOK 1890 vs. 1499).

Again, If you're planning on having more than 1, spend the extra from the start for a mesh system. 

Message 2 of 4
Andrejj
Initiate

Wow @plemans, I sincerely THANK YOU for your impressively thorough answer!

With regards to Req.#1: Both existing extenders (N300 and EX6120) have either been placed or is placed at a position where one has clear line of sight from one corner (where the router is and still needs to be) to the other (where a few «last mile» end-users are).

Wrt. Background factor #1: Your option 1 is my only choice. But thanks again for making that so clear.

Finally, in conclusion you have absolutely provided the RELIABLE VERIFICATION that I asked for. I hereby greatfully mark your post as «Accept as Solution». Grazie mille!

Bst rgds,

André T. in Norway

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it helped!

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7