× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting a stronger signal

CyberSix
Follower

Getting a stronger signal

Hello, I have been trying to extend my WiFi to reach an exterior building on my property, I had an r6700 router and bought the ex8000 range extender, This combination works but the signal is very weak. My question is would it be worth it to invest in a more expensive router like the RAX50S? Would a better router give me a larger more powerful signal? Thank you.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Getting a stronger signal

How far away is this building? 

routers and extenders are all limited by the fcc is broadcast strenght. Most times, if you've already got a decent router, they're already broadcasting at max strength. You might get better speeds with a bad signal but you're not really going to get much extra distance. 

If you're outbuilding is that far away, looking at a point to point system would be a better idea because some can broadcast miles because they use a directed signal and not omnidirectional. 

Or even looking at getting a mesh system and putting a satellite midway between the home and the outbuilding. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7