× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting money back on broke router

tonynsx
Luminary

Getting money back on broke router

I bought a NETGEAR WiFi router AC1750 from BestBuy about 3 months ago. Today I did a firmware update, and that broke the router. The power light is flashing amber light. I tried resetting and power cycling. I also tried updating the firmware using TFTP but same issue. So I have to get a new router now.

How can I get the money back for this router? I don’t want to replace it. I just want to get my money back.
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
tonynsx
Luminary

Re: Getting money back on broke router

NETGEAR is a crap company. I will never buy their stuff for home or business

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
tonynsx
Luminary

Not that this matters but I’m in networking field so I did everything I could to troubleshoot. I just want to get my money back since it was Netgear’s own firmware broke it.

I didn’t register it when I bought it but I can give you the serial number.
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

This is the community forum. Not netgears support site. 

You've got a couple options.

1. Return it to best buy. Probably your best option if you want your money back.

2. Actually contact support to see about exchanging/replacing. They can be contacted by clicking the top mynetgear.  You register an account and then the device. From there you can contact support to see what you're options are. I doubt you'll get your $ back but maybe you can exchange it and if you're truly against the product, you can sell it to recoup some of your investment. 

3. Since this is the community forum, maybe we can help. you stated you used tftp. What errors did you get. Where in the process did it fail? Can you take a video of your attempt at fixing it? 

you don't put what model you have. you put ac1750 which is a speed not a model. What firmware version did you update to? 

When you attempted to use tftp, did you enable tftp within windows?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Also you posted in the wifi range extender forum. If you'd like help from the community, make sure to figure out which model you have and post in the appropriate forum for you model. 

Message 4 of 8
tonynsx
Luminary

Bestbuy won’t take it back since it’s over 30 days and it’s not their fault. It broke while doing NETGEAR update do it’s NETGEAR fault.

The TFTP said success. I waited 10 minutes but still flashing amber. I restarted it,same thing. Shouldn’t NETGEAR be liable since it’s NETGEAR update broke it? I don’t want NETGEAR as my next router that’s why I want my money back. It’s not my fault.

It’s a AC1750 gigabit
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Again, AC1750 is a speed, not a model number. Look on the router's sticker. usually on the back. It'll have model number, serial, mac address etc.  

From there you'll have your model number and can use that to get the proper firmware for flashing the firmware.  Make sure you have the correct version as well as many models have multiple versions. Flashing the incorrect firmware will leave you with the same results as a failed firmware flash. 

Another option you can try is  nmrpflash.  I'd try returning/exchanging it before I'd go that route but its up to you. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

And again, this is the community forum where members of the public help others out. We don't control returned products, exchanges, etc. You need to go through the support site for that. Who knows, maybe there is an option for refund but I doubt it as Netgear sells it to best buy who then marks it up and resells it. 

Message 6 of 8
tonynsx
Luminary

I called Netgear and they went throught troubleshooting (the same steps I told them I went throught), but for some reason they think if they do it it will work!  They're going to send me a replacement, but I have to pay for the return.  How's that fair?  It was their update that broke it and I have to pay to return it?

Message 7 of 8
tonynsx
Luminary

NETGEAR is a crap company. I will never buy their stuff for home or business
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7