× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting the WN2000RPT to WORK!?

ramification
Aspirant

Getting the WN2000RPT to WORK!?

Hi everyone,

I understand there's a few threads already but I very recently purchased a WN2000RPT to extend the wifi range of my existing Netgear CG3000. Soon after installation I noticed that new devices trying to connect would kick everyone off already connect through the repeater. I started to play with both the modem and repeaters settings and found no luck.

I eventually came across the FAQ on the repeater:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239/~/wn2000rpt-faqs

I have connected to WN2000RPT and get an ip address from my ISP router, but I can not access internet. What can I do?
1. Make sure you have the latest firmware on your WN2000RPT.
2. If the ISP router is Livebox, please enable the internal DHCP server by accessing www.mywifiext.net/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html. Check “Enable internal DHCP Server” option then click Apply button.

I followed both those steps and repeater's performance has been much better. However, the repeater is not the best in assigning IP addressing (gets conflicts sometimes) and the internet access will still drop off from time to time, and I'll have turn on/off the extender to get it working. :mad:

This has been frustrating to say the least. I am thinking of returning the device (can easily within two weeks of purchase). Through mywifiext.net, I've set the repeater to have a static ip address, but the address I specify never gets assigned when I go to the CG3000 192.168.0.1 interface. This leaves me a bit puzzled.

Has anyone discovered optimum settings for the repeater?
Should I return it? And if so what is good alternative to the WN2000RPT (universal wifi extender)?

Thanks very much,

Ramification
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

likely you encryption on main unit

use WPA2
Message 2 of 7
Patrick_B
Aspirant

I agree with the last post, I could not get the WN2000RPT to work with WPA or WPA2 until the extender had had a firmware change. It was also fairly fusy about the connection with my wireless router DGN2000. One thing that did cause problems is that my router allows multiple SSIDs. The WN2000RPT did not like this and I had to drop back to one SSID only and run WPA + WPA2 from the router. I am also using the wireless router to provide the IP addresses in the system - I can't remeber if there is an option in the WN2000RPT to do this, my advice FWIW would be to disable this function.

Once these point were sorted out (and it took several days and some pain) the extender has connected and it has just worked with no drop outs or problems.
Message 3 of 7
ramification
Aspirant

Patrick_B wrote:
I agree with the last post, I could not get the WN2000RPT to work with WPA or WPA2 until the extender had had a firmware change. It was also fairly fusy about the connection with my wireless router DGN2000. One thing that did cause problems is that my router allows multiple SSIDs. The WN2000RPT did not like this and I had to drop back to one SSID only and run WPA + WPA2 from the router. I am also using the wireless router to provide the IP addresses in the system - I can't remeber if there is an option in the WN2000RPT to do this, my advice FWIW would be to disable this function.

Once these point were sorted out (and it took several days and some pain) the extender has connected and it has just worked with no drop outs or problems.

How did you do this?

Update: I've noticed the extender keeps dropping internet access for new devices, and the top light turns red when a new device tries to connect to the extender. eeep , gonna play around with settings. such a shame this product couldn't be more reliable.
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

. I am also using the wireless router to provide the IP addresses in the system - I can't remeber if there is an option in the WN2000RPT to do this, my advice FWIW would be to disable this function.

when extender is connected any DHCP server on the network ( DHCP server or Router does the DHCP) should give WNxxx a IP for the device as well as IP to the other devices.

make sure that extender is to loosing the connection your main router at all. 🙂
Message 5 of 7
ramification
Aspirant

The extender has a lot of trouble assigning ip addresses, and sometimes even when it does it still can't have internet access. I think I'm about to give up -.-
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure you are not loosing the signal or getting weak signal where extender is used
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7