× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hardwire the EX7000 instead of wirelessly connecting to the router?

HyImTim
Aspirant

Hardwire the EX7000 instead of wirelessly connecting to the router?

I’m going to try my best to explain my current situation as best as possible since I’m not entirely tech savvy or literate. My current situation is that there are devices that need to be hardwired but the devices are located in separate rooms. One device in my room and one in my brother’s. Now I know that I can use the EX7000 to wirelessly connect to my router and just use the Ethernet ports but doing that cuts down on download speeds. So I was wondering if I can use the Ethernet port in my room and plug the extender into that so I won’t have to wirelessly connect to the router? The current set up is that we have Frontier FiOS and the ONT box is located in our garage. Not sure what that means but the employee from BestBuy said it acts as the modem so that all the Ethernet ports our house can support a router without the need of an actual modem. So currently, all we currently have the Nighthawk X6 plugged into the Ethernet port in my brother’s room and is producing a Wifi signal with internet. We now both have desktops that have no Wifi adapters. So in order to use the internet on our computer we need to be wired. We used to share a room so it was never a problem since the router was in our room but now that we have our own rooms, he kept the router while I have no possible way of accessing internet via wired connection. Since we both game, we prefer a wired connection overall for the best performance. Hence the reason why we never purchased a Wifi adapter for our PC. While trying to look up a solution for my problem, I was constantly seeing answers like using the EX7000 as an access point. However, instructions say to plug it in to a router, which defeats my purpose of buying the extender in the first place since the extender would need to be located in my brother’s room. So long story short, can I hardwire the EX7000 using the Ethernet port in my room so that it can provide internet to my devices that need to be hardwired into the extender?
Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @HyImTim,

If the ethernet port in your room provides an active internet connection from the DHCP server of your router or ISP's Gateway, you can setup EX7000 as AP and use it for both wired and wireless connections.

Message 2 of 5
HyImTim
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. However I was told that if I did that, it would cut our internet speeds down to 50% if I did this. Is this true?
Message 3 of 5
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @HyImTim,

Speed of your main network from ISP will be shared between devices connected to your brother's router as well as your devices that you connect via extender. So we cannot say that it'll be 50%, but it purely depends on devices on entire network and bandwidth consumed by each.

Message 4 of 5
HyImTim
Aspirant

Oh okay thank you for the information
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7