× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hardwire to router

pram70
Tutor

Hardwire to router

This is a pre-purchase question. Can I connect the extender directly to the router with an ethernet cable? My ISP"s modem/router is in ther garage. There, I get full speed. In the living room I only get 1/3 the speed, about 50 Mbps. I have an ethernet cable running from the garage to a closet in the living room and I'm wondering if it's possible, and would there be any advantage, to connecting the extender to it. Thank you.

Cheers, Peter

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can do this. 

Its just during setup, you'd setup the extender in access point mode.

Benefits? depends on your device. for the single/dual band extenders, you see a quite significant performance increase because of the 50% through reduction the single/dual bands take. In the tribands, you'll still see some improvement but not to the same extent because of the tribands dedicated backhaul.

Is it worth it? sure it is. I do it pretty much everytime I run an extender at my place. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Keep in mind that some of the base model extenders don't support access point mode
Message 3 of 8
pram70
Tutor

Thank you for your replies, plemans. I was thinking of the EX7700 mainly because The Wirecutter recommended it as an upgrade pick and mentioned that it increased speed as well as range, whereas the less expensive extenders generally just enhanced the range. Perhaps this isn't so much the case if it's hardwired. I'm not so tech savvy, but is it correct that with the extender hard wired and set up as an access point, there would be no benefit or reason for a third band for backhaul? And would the access point have the same speeds as the router? Thanks.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you bought the triband and set it up in access point mode, you'd be able to use all 3 bands on the extender. 

It'd give you the option of spreading devices out a little more. 

Its a solid performing device. Not sure what router you have but it might actually perform better. 

Message 5 of 8
pram70
Tutor

The modem/router is an Actiontec 3200. Than you for your help. I think I'll give it a try.

Message 6 of 8
pram70
Tutor

Everything is up and running and I'm getting full speed plus. Thank you again for your help.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7