× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help! Smart devices no longer get internet via Wifi Extender!

mar1a
Aspirant

Help! Smart devices no longer get internet via Wifi Extender!

Dear Netgear Community!

My wifi extender (EX6150v2) has been working fine until recently, when it no longer gives you any internet even though it says that the smart device is connected to the extender. Sometimes the "Client Link", but mostly stays off. 

I am a complete novice when it comes to technology so I would welcome any advice (but please explain to me as if you are talking to a 5 year old!). 

Many many thanks!

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help! Smart devices no longer get internet via Wifi Extender!

Is the router link LED lit?  If so, what color?  See page 6 here if you need an explanation on the LEDs: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6150v2/EX6150v2_UM_EN.pdf

Also, did anything recently happen on your network around the time it began to fail?  For instance, did you change routers?  Did you have a power failure? ...

Message 2 of 12
mar1a
Aspirant

Hiya! Many thanks for your reply. The LED light is yellow.

Nothing that I know of happened, but I did switch off all the internet/and all sockets when I went on holiday for two weeks at the start of July - perhaps it could be connected to that in some way? 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mar1a wrote:

The LED light is yellow.

Do you recall if it was yellow before?  If practical, you could try moving it a little closer to the router (enough to get a green color), and see if that changes anything.

Message 4 of 12
mar1a
Aspirant

I suppose its actually green (same colour as the other LED lights on the extender). It has always been this same colour. 

Before I went away and switched everything off it worked very well without interruption. But now sometimes it allows you to go online for some time and then after a couple of minutes you get the "not connected to the internet" signs in the browsers.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mar1a wrote:

I suppose its actually green (same colour as the other LED lights on the extender). It has always been this same colour. 

Before I went away and switched everything off it worked very well without interruption. But now sometimes it allows you to go online for some time and then after a couple of minutes you get the "not connected to the internet" signs in the browsers.

Ok.  And you are never seeing this when you are connected to the router network, correct?

Have you tried "rebooting" the network?  You'd turn off the extender and the router.  Then turn on the extender, and wait for it to fully start up.  Then turn on the extender 

Message 6 of 12
mar1a
Aspirant

Thanks for your message below. I tried the below instructions, the WiFi from the extender worked for about 5 minutes and then it cut off again and now the “client link” has gone off. Any other things I could try?
Many Thanks!
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Is the router link still lit?

Message 8 of 12
mar1a
Aspirant

Yes.
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mar1a wrote:
Yes.

Ok.  So either the smart device decided to drop the connection, or the extender lost it somehow.

What are the devices that are doing this?

Message 10 of 12
mar1a
Aspirant

The iPhone and and laptop.
Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Are they showing no network connection when the client link light goes out?

Are they close to the extender when this is happening?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series