× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home wifi range help

MateoAnthony
Follower

Home wifi range help

Hey all, not sure if this is the right sub, im not an expert with wifi/routers but I know a little bit of how to get them to work properly (port forwarding, etc). Im runing a netgear nighthawk 3200 on my xfinity network and i have it on the second floor of the house. Its directly above and one room over from our front porch and as soon as we go out for morning coffee the wifi sucks balls. Also, when trying to use phones/laptop literally on the driveway directly below the wifi but outside, it cuts down again, even on 2.4ghz. Is there any way to fix this? Are there settings i need to tinker with? Will openning windows help? Wifi repeaters? (Do they even work?). Open to all suggestions, i thought the best way for wifi to travel was down not up etc. TIA for any help. Im sure im a pleb compared to most of this sub

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Home wifi range help

1.Which netgear device do you have? 3200 isn't a model.

2. what is your exterior walls made of? many materials block wifi extremely well. This includes, brick, concrete, foil lined insulation, metal siding, adobe, cement board siding, etc. And its not just material. You could use the same as the interior walls of the house but it tends to have more materials versus interior walls so more signal is blocked. This is kind of key if the problem happens as soon as you leave the home. 

If its an issue of the exterior wall causing the blockage, then you'd need to hardwire an extender/access point in on the exterior of the home to get decent signal. You could try running an ethernet wire to the exterior, using a powerline device to do it, a moca adapter (ethernet over coax). 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7