× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How Do I Set Up 2 Netgear WiFi Extenders?

Dino1956
Tutor

How Do I Set Up 2 Netgear WiFi Extenders?

I have 1 Extender set up and it has worked great for 2 years. This one is extended from my AT&T Netgear 7550 Router.

I just purchased another extender. During setup, I would like to extend it from my Router just like I set up the first one.

The trouble is, it's saying for Security on my Router it has WEP. This is not correct. My Router's Security is WPA2.

So I have no choice but to extend the Network from the fist Extender. I'm not sure I will get a strong signal setting it up in a daisy chain.

I would prefer both Extenders to extend their Network from the Router. Again, I'm 100% positive my Router Security is WPA2, not WEP.

But in the mywifiext browser set up, it lists my Router as being WEP.

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 14
TheEther
Guru

What security is your 1st extender using for its Wi-Fi?

The challenge with using 2 extenders is that they must broadcast a different SSID than the main network.  Otherwise, they might try to connect to each other.  Daisy-chaining them is also not recommended because the performance drop will be severe.

If you can, you should wire the extenders to the router and set them to Access Point mode.  This is the most efficient setup.

Message 2 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

The 1sr Extender is WPA2. And I have the 2nd Extender daisy chaining off the first.

Which is my only choice, after hearing your reply. There is no possibility of wiring them to router and to each other.

I wish it would at least give me the option to extend both from the Router.

But again, it reports my Router falsely having WEP security.

And If I had an option of running Ethernet cords, I would no longer need the extenders.

I would just run 2 lvery ong Ethernet cables directly from the back of my Router.

But, why is it giving me false info on my Router saying it's Security is WEP?

That to me makes no sense what so ever. Sounds like a glitch in the software.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate it.

P.S. I thought I saw somewhere in the community a post about someone running 2 extenders, extending both from the Router with success.

That's really how I planned on setting it up originally.

Message 3 of 14
TheEther
Guru

You misunderstood me.  You should not daisy chain extenders.  But in order for extend both from the router, the extenders must broadcast a different SSID from the main router.  Are you doing that?

Message 4 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

Ok. Yes, again, I had no other choice since it's saying my router has WEP security, which is NOT the case. My router is usingWPA2 for security.

How do I accomplish that?

How do I make the Router Broadcast a different SSID for one then the other?

The setup is so straight forward.

I see no advanced set up using the browser mywifiext.

Is that something I can do on the router?

Message 5 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

Oh. The SSID is the name of the device?

Yes, they all have different names.

Router: DCS

Extender1: DCS_EXT2

Extender2: DCS_EXT3

Message 6 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Ok, that works.  It's strange, then, that extender2 is trying to use WEP security.  Perhaps you can try resetting extender2 to factory settings.

Message 7 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

Been there, Done That! 

What is strange is that it is reporting that my Router's Security setting is WEP, when it definitely is not. So I can't connect it to the router.

Extender 1 definitely extended from the router and IT reported the true security setting on my router when I set it up, which is WPA2 but since I put another Extender in the mix it won't allow me to extend it from the router.

Message 8 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Try turning extender1 off and see if extender2 can properly connect to the router.  I really doubt this will make a difference, but you never know.  If it still doesn't work, then it may be defective.  Another thought is to update the firmware on extender2.

Message 9 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

I updated the Firmware but after that I had to reset it to Factory Settings.

Does that not keep the updated firmware?

I have not tried taking the #1 Extender out of the Mix.

That's a good idea and worth trying.

I doubt it's defective. It usually never is. 😉 That would be too easy.

Message 10 of 14
TheEther
Guru

A factory reset will not affect the firmware.

Message 11 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

Cool. Thanks!

Message 12 of 14
Dino1956
Tutor

I have Factory Reset both including my Router.

This time it allowed me to extend both from the Router.

And it showed my Router did in fact have WPA2 Security.

I have one extender into a Wall Plug near my Apple TV.

It's so close I put an Ethernet cable from Extender to my Apple TV.

Everything was working well for a while and then...

My Apple TV would not connect to the Apple Store.

So I tried Netflix and that would not connect either.

So I took the Ethernet cable out and connected Apple TV to Extender Wirelessly.

Still no Apple Store or Netflix. When I got fed up and disconnected both my Netgear Extenders.

I went to connect Wirelessly directly from my router and guess what?

It said I needed a WEP number. So I had to Factory Reset my Router and am right where I started. 

No extenders. WiFi from my router only. 

This has been a nightmare. Something in the extenders causes my router to be seen with WEP security, even though it is not set up that way.

I check with my browser going to 192.168.1.254 and security is ALWAYS set to WPA2.

I have DSL with AT&T. I'm considering drilling holes in my wall and running long ethernet cables directly from my router.

This has been a very frustrating experience to say the least.

Oh yea. I also updated the firmware on both Extenders. And Btw, the router ia a Netgear AT&T 7550.

So what's next? When I come to think of it, my router is not very far from my Apple TV, maybe 45 Feet.

And it use to get a good signal before on my Apple TV, up until I installed my first Netgear Extender.

This should not be THAT hard! 

Message 13 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dino1956

Have you tried setting the router to WEP connecting the extender than switching it back to WPA2?

DarrenM

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7