× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I determine the optimal Wi-Fi Range Extender to pair with my modem (D2200D)?

Eliminator
Follower

How do I determine the optimal Wi-Fi Range Extender to pair with my modem (D2200D)?

My new NetGear D2200D modem will be arriving today or tomorrow.  I will need to extend the range of my modem's coverage to cover the outside of my home, both in the front and back, as we spend a LOT of time outside in these areas.

With the multitude of range extenders to choose from, how does one go about deciding which range extender will work best for my situation?

I'm not needing to cover multiple floors, only a my single level home, including outside front and back.  In the front of my home I need the signal to extend about 100 feet, out to my RV.  When 'inside' the RV, I then wish to see that Wi-Fi signal.  I also want coverage in my attached garage.

How does one determine which range extenders work best with my particular modem, but also for the footprint I'm needing to cover?  I'm not opposed to purchasing more than one range extender.  I just do not know how to determine what to buy that will work optimally for my need.  Thank you in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I determine the optimal Wi-Fi Range Extender to pair with my modem (D2200D)?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I determine the optimal Wi-Fi Range Extender to pair with my modem (D2200D)?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Agree with @FURRYe38 on the minimum 30 ft.  There are a bunch of different extenders that can all have different features. Pick one that matches what area you're trying to cover and the features you want. I'd recommend a tri-band extender so it has the extra backhaul for usage but they're more expensive. Everything has a trade off. 

Once you have one picked, In my experience, it takes a little trial and error to get it working the best. The best it to speed test it in several locations. If you stick it in one location and walk away, you're probably not optimally placed. HVAC, Concrete, and other interference can change greatly even by moving several feet one or a room over. go by the general guides and test it in a couple locations. And even thats a loaded statement as you can play with distances and then play with Netgears fastlane setup to set it up the best for your configuration.  Take a couple hours and play with your extender and you'll have better results and satisfaction then just putting it in one place and forgettting about it. 

Only other thought was sometimes RV's have issues with signal. Reason is the metal cladding/covering does a great job of blocking signal. Something to keep in mind that it doesn't matter how much you boost the signal if you're basically in a faraday cage. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7