× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I extend the wifi range?

LasseBl
Initiate

How do I extend the wifi range?

Hello,

I have just installed the Netgear wifi extender (EX6120) according to the instructions. When I have the extender in the same room as the router it works well. All 4 lamps light green. But when I place the extender downstairs about 3-4 meters from the router the routerlamp lights red. The other 3 lamps light green but when I test the computer the wifi signal is as low as without the extender. I have placed the extender upstairs in another room 2-3 meters from the router and all lamps light green. I cannot get the router lamp to light orange. Please inform me how to get better signal downstairs. 

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How do I extend the wifi range?

Hello LasseBI

You may want to change the wireless channel on your router to find the best signal for your home. Also you may want to factory reset the extender and then do the setup again in the place where you want the extender to be.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello LasseBI

You may want to change the wireless channel on your router to find the best signal for your home. Also you may want to factory reset the extender and then do the setup again in the place where you want the extender to be.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
LasseBl
Initiate

Hello DarrenM,

First I will see if it is possible to change the router channel?? Then I do a new installation of the extender.  Do you mean to place the extender downstairs already during the new setup?

//LasseBl

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello lasseBI

That is correct and then if you cant get a signal slowly move the extender to other outlets until you find a good spot where it can get signal from the router and supply better signal to the basement. As for the router channel it would be in the wifi settings of the router.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7