× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I make the X6 wifi extender a wifi hotspot/router with ethernet?

THQ
Follower
Follower

How do I make the X6 wifi extender a wifi hotspot/router with ethernet?

Hi, I have a question before I buy this extender.  I have a pre-wired house with cat6 cable networking throughout and a makeshift server room, which houses my Netgear DM200 ADSL modem, which is connected via ethernet cable to my Netgear X8 R5300 Wifi Router in the same room.  Unfortunately, due to the brick walls, at the other end of the house I get crappy coverage and can't even detect the 5 GHz band.  My 2.4 GHz band has a lot of lag for mobile based games probably because I have many Nest smoke/CO detectors connected to this band.

My question is, how do I use the existing ethernet ports in every room to set up an access point with the X6 extender to extend my wifi, especially the 5GHz band?  In the server room, the DM200 modem only has one ethernet port and it is taken up by the cable from it to the X8 router marked internet.  The X8 router has 4 other ethernet ports.  Do I run a cable from one of those ports to my server switch, then from the wall ethernet it is connected to, to the X6 extender in another room?  Or am I not able to do that because the X8 router is not in bridge mode?  I assume an ethernet connection from the X6 extender to the router will cut down on lag.

Or is the other option to interpose a ethernet switch between the DM200 modem and the X8 router, and then use one of the other ethernet ports on the switch to connect through the server switch, wall outlet to the X6 extender in another room?

Hopefully the photo of the back of the DM200 and X8 clarifies this a bit.

Thank you.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
michaelkeay
Aspirant

Re: How do I make the X6 wifi extender a wifi hotspot/router with ethernet?

Yep you can use it as an access point by plugging an etherney cable from your router into a port them

https://kb.netgear.com/000045827/How-do-I-set-up-my-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-WiFi-Mesh-Range-Extender-in-a...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7