× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many eax80 extenders can I use in a single large home?

nawhyte
Follower

How many eax80 extenders can I use in a single large home?

I am upgrading WiFi for a large home, 3 stories with lots of structural steel, etc.  I got one RAX200 (AX12 tri-band router) and want to figure out what combination of range extenders and/or additional RAX200 as access points I should consider.  I have hardwire 1Gbps in some parts of the home for setting up access points, but still have some tough to reach spots.  So, at least some range extenders will be needed.  I can't tell from online documentation if I can "daisy chain" extenders, or even have more than one extender.  I should be able to reach all spots with access points and just one hop with an extender in some spots, but I don't know if more than one access point will mess up the extenders.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: How many eax80 extenders can I use in a single large home?

I would skip extenders. 

I'd go right to an actual mesh network like orbi. Here's why.

1. Mesh extenders work great when you're only adding a single extender. If you add more than 1 and use the "One Name SSID" function, they can end up connecting to each other and you get drops, poor performance. This can be avoided by using unique ssid's for the extenders. 

2. If you're not using the mesh features, its a headache with multiple extenders to have to constantly switch SSID's. 

3. You can add quite a few satellites in different configurations with orbi. I've got satellites with wired backhauls who then connect different satellites with the wireless backhaul.

4. Actual mesh SSID is great (when it works). Roaming works better and you're not having to manually switch ssid's. 

5. If you've got dead area's, its easy to just add another satellite. (i've read of up to 8 satellites, never done it myself though)

That's just my thoughts on the matter. Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7