× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to connect tri-band extender to a tri-band router - EX7500 (X4S) to R9000 (X10)

pgphillips05
Aspirant

How to connect tri-band extender to a tri-band router - EX7500 (X4S) to R9000 (X10)

I have an R9000 X10 Wifi Router and an EX7500 X4S wifi extender.  I have sucessfully connected the X4S extender to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels of the R9000 but it looks like it is connected like a traditional dual channel extender.  

I understand that these two devices should be able to connect via a third 5GHz channel.  How do I know they are connected that way?  if they are not, how can I then configure them that way?

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band Wall Plug WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to connect tri-band extender to a tri-band router - EX7500 (X4S) to R9000 (X10)

@pgphillips05 wrote:

Just to check that I understand your message correctly, you are saying that my extender is operating in the correct way and that I don't need to make any changes?

Yes.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is www.mywifiext.net showing both 2.4 and 5 ghz connected to the router, or only the 5 ghz?

I don't have this extender model or this router.  Do you have any way to see what channel the extender using for the router connection?  It might be on the attached devices list of the router, or it might be shown on www.mywifiext.net.  

Message 2 of 6
pgphillips05
Aspirant

www.mywifiext.net is showing the extender is connected to both the 2.4 and 5GHz networks (see attached photo).

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

While a "normal" repeater would use the same 5 GHz channel for the connection to the router and the AP, e.g. a two-radio extender would use the channel 108 for the uplink to the radio as well as for the AP.

Your tri-band does (beyond of the 2.4 GHz) use both 5 GHz radio interfaces - channel 108 to the router, and channel 48 for the wireless AP - as visible on the screenshot supplied. That's in my opinion the intended operation mode for these extenders.

Last but not least, the R9000 (X10) does only have one 5 GHz radio anyway.

Message 4 of 6
pgphillips05
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Just to check that I understand your message correctly, you are saying that my extender is operating in the correct way and that I don't need to make any changes?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@pgphillips05 wrote:

Yes.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7