× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to extend guest network to extender

vrspectre
Apprentice

How to extend guest network to extender

I've got an XR500 setup with a guest wifi network on 2.4GHZ. Right now, only my primary wireless network is extended via the EX7700. How do I extend the guest network too? 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

You'd need another extender. You can choose to extend either the primary network or the guest network for a single band but not both at the same time. 

One option though is to have the extender use the guest network to extend the 2.4ghz guest and the 5ghz primary or vice versa. That'd give you a secure wifi for your devices and one for your guests. 

Message 2 of 4
vrspectre
Apprentice

I'm using an ethernet backhaul XR500

So even if I got a second X6, how would you set it up to use the guest network? I want to isolate the guest wifi network from the rest of my network. The XR500 allows for that, but it sees all the traffic coming from X6 as a LAN port traffic and I don't believe it has any idea of which SSID the device is connected to. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you have it connected via lan cable, I don't believe guest option is working. You're right in the that the lan cable is passing the traffic and isn't actually segragating it. You'd have to use the wireless option.  You'd be able to setup the 5ghz on the xr500 with guest and have the ex7700 extend that band. theoretically it should work fine if you're using it over wireless. Problem would be if you've got the options set for one of the 5ghz bands to act as backhaul. Then you're back to the same situation as lan connection. Not for sure on this as I don't have either option and i've never used the tri-band extender so I'm not 100% on this. maybe someone who has will see these posts and chime in. 

Your other option is to just have the router run a guest network for people. If you truly need a 2.4ghz extender for guests past the range of the router, buy a super cheap 2.4ghz only adapter and just run it off the guest network. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7