× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to force devices to connect to EX8000 only

TheMadProphet
Aspirant

How to force devices to connect to EX8000 only

I've asked this in other places, but it seems either folks don't read the entire post or I'm not being clear. 
I have AT&T fiber and use an AT&T modem. I have a large home and the router is in one corner. This can't be changed. 
The room where the modem is located also contains most of the wireless devices. A couple of cameras are located in the far corner of the home. 
I put an EX8000 in my bedroom, which is roughly at the midpoint of the house. It is configured to extend the router's network, using the same (single) SSID. 
Here's the problem: frequently, items in the same room as the router choose to connect to the extender. This results in spotty connections and dropped WiFi. The cameras at the far end of the house frequently connect to the router, bypassing the closer extender, resulting in spotty connections. 
I also, naturally, have tablets, phones and laptops that travel from room to room. 
What is the best way to ensure the devices connect to the closest WiFi signal?

1) should I setup the extender with a different SSID, then connect the devices I want to that SSID? I'm not in favor of this for OCD reasons. 🙂

2) should I keep the setup I have and use ACL's on the router and extender? Can I do that? How would it affect those devices that are mobile?

Or am I missing a better option?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How to force devices to connect to EX8000 only

yes they should all be on one network. The router is the dhcp controller not the ex8000

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What is the best way to ensure the devices connect to the closest WiFi signal?

1) should I setup the extender with a different SSID, then connect the devices I want to that SSID? I'm not in favor of this for OCD reasons. 🙂

2) should I keep the setup I have and use ACL's on the router and extender? Can I do that? How would it affect those devices that are mobile?

Or am I missing a better option?

the problem is that the EX8000 is more than likely significantly better than the ISP supplied router. As well as the roaming feature is built into the device, not the router. The router supports the roaming standard but its up to the device to switch between router/device. 

Best way to make sure devices connect to the extender? Like you said, use a unique ssid for the extender thats seperate from the router. 

Message 2 of 5
TheMadProphet
Aspirant

If I have devices connected on the router SSID (net1) and devices connected on the extender SSID (net2), will all devices see each other as though on one network? If not, what about devices that require controlling devices be in the same network?  For instance, a camera that requires the viewing device be on the same network as the camera? Force the viewing device to the other network?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

yes they should all be on one network. The router is the dhcp controller not the ex8000

Message 4 of 5
TheMadProphet
Aspirant

Thank you for that answer. 
The DHCP allocation was what I was about to edit in to my question. My Microsoft TCP/IP classes were literally taken in a different century. 

Guess I'll find out in a few minutes. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7