× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to setup EX6200 Range Extender to extend an access point that shares a SSID with another rou

JBinIL
Star

How to setup EX6200 Range Extender to extend an access point that shares a SSID with another router?

Hello! Does anyone know how can I setup my EX6200 Range Extender to extend a specific 2.4Ghz access point, which shares the same SSID with my main router? My main router's and access point's shared SSID currently appears in the EX6200's Smart Setup screen (similar signal strengths), but I only want to extend my existing access point (not my router which appears to have a weaker signal) by its MAC address.

If the EX6200's user interface does not have the ability to extend a specific/preferred SSID by its MAC address, is there a workaround? For example, if I temporarily do not broadcast my main router's SSID, can I setup the EX6200 during a time when my access point is the only device that is broadcasting the desired SSID? After I resume broadcasting my main router's SSID, will the EX6200 remember my access point's MAC address vs. my main router's SSID? 

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to setup EX6200 Range Extender to extend an access point that shares a SSID with another rou

@JBinIL wrote:

Thanks for your quick response. Key follow-up question I have always wondered about: If I rename our long-distance access point's SSID that I want to extend to another SSID name and change all of our mobile wifi devices to automatically connect to the SSIDs associated with our home's primary router AND our wifi access point(s), will our mobile wifi devices seamlessly (without interruption) connect to our home router's and access points' SSIDs as needed when the mobile devices are in range of the SSIDs? For example, if we are streaming music while we are walking around our property, if our mobile devices are within range of our home router and access points/repeaters' SSIDs, will we even notice that our devices have connected to another SSID?

I appreciate your help! I am sure many other  people are wondering the same thing.

The answer is maybe.  🙂

In most(*) home networks, the decision to roam is entirely up to the device.  Many devices will cling to their existing connection and will not roam until the connection is barely usable.  Apple documents the roaming behavior of iOS here.  iOS will not begin a search for a better signal until the RSSI is worse than -70 dBm, which is a pretty weak signal.  But the kicker is that it won't switch unless it finds a signal that is stronger by either 8 or 12 dB, depending on whether the device is active or not.  The implication is that you can have an access point/repeater that is too close to the router!  You could walk from the router to the repeater and an iPhone may never switch because the signal back to the router is better than -70 dBm.  Android is similar, BTW.

If a device does decide to switch, it will usually switch fairly quickly.  But there's no guarantee that it will be seamless.  If you are streaming video or music, the switch may be seamless because there's usually a few seconds of data buffered on the device.  A live video or audio call may experience a slight disruption.

BTW, switching between the same SSID is less disruptive than switching between different SSIDs.  To a device, a different SSID is a different network.  Most devices will be loathe to switch networks.  The device has to disassociate from the old SSID, join the new one and reacquire DHCP information.

This article goes into more details.  This thread is also pretty informative.  Credit to smallnetbuilder.com for both links.

(*) Some vendors have features that can facilitate the roaming process.  One feature drops the Wi-Fi connection to a device when the signal drops below a configurable threshold.  Another set of features involves the exchange of additonal information between devices and routers/access points/repeaters (aka 802.11 r/k/v protocols).

[Edit: I should add that there are legitimate reasons to use different SSIDs.  You may want separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks in order to force devices to stay on one frequency band.  I do this because my 5 GHz-capable devices are always faster on 5 GHz.]

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

No, that won't help.  You would need to change the SSID on the Access Point to insure that the extender latches onto it.

Message 2 of 7
JBinIL
Star

Thanks for your quick response. Key follow-up question I have always wondered about: If I rename our long-distance access point's SSID that I want to extend to another SSID name and change all of our mobile wifi devices to automatically connect to the SSIDs associated with our home's primary router AND our wifi access point(s), will our mobile wifi devices seamlessly (without interruption) connect to our home router's and access points' SSIDs as needed when the mobile devices are in range of the SSIDs? For example, if we are streaming music while we are walking around our property, if our mobile devices are within range of our home router and access points/repeaters' SSIDs, will we even notice that our devices have connected to another SSID?

I appreciate your help! I am sure many other  people are wondering the same thing.

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 7
Sandoval77
Aspirant

Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

@JBinIL wrote:

The answer is maybe.  🙂

In most(*) home networks, the decision to roam is entirely up to the device.  Many devices will cling to their existing connection and will not roam until the connection is barely usable.  Apple documents the roaming behavior of iOS here.  iOS will not begin a search for a better signal until the RSSI is worse than -70 dBm, which is a pretty weak signal.  But the kicker is that it won't switch unless it finds a signal that is stronger by either 8 or 12 dB, depending on whether the device is active or not.  The implication is that you can have an access point/repeater that is too close to the router!  You could walk from the router to the repeater and an iPhone may never switch because the signal back to the router is better than -70 dBm.  Android is similar, BTW.

If a device does decide to switch, it will usually switch fairly quickly.  But there's no guarantee that it will be seamless.  If you are streaming video or music, the switch may be seamless because there's usually a few seconds of data buffered on the device.  A live video or audio call may experience a slight disruption.

BTW, switching between the same SSID is less disruptive than switching between different SSIDs.  To a device, a different SSID is a different network.  Most devices will be loathe to switch networks.  The device has to disassociate from the old SSID, join the new one and reacquire DHCP information.

This article goes into more details.  This thread is also pretty informative.  Credit to smallnetbuilder.com for both links.

(*) Some vendors have features that can facilitate the roaming process.  One feature drops the Wi-Fi connection to a device when the signal drops below a configurable threshold.  Another set of features involves the exchange of additonal information between devices and routers/access points/repeaters (aka 802.11 r/k/v protocols).

[Edit: I should add that there are legitimate reasons to use different SSIDs.  You may want separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks in order to force devices to stay on one frequency band.  I do this because my 5 GHz-capable devices are always faster on 5 GHz.]

Message 5 of 7
JBinIL
Star

EXCELLENT, super-informative response!!! Thank you VERY much!

(Your response was so good I had to stop what I was doing and go to my home computer to immediately thank you!)

Give the detailed information within your response, and the likely delays associated with an iPhone switching from one SSID name to another, I think I will keep my main home's router, my long-distance routers (Engenius ENS202EXTs), and my Netgear EX6200 WiFi Range Extender's SSID names the same.

Interestingly, my long-distance Engenius ENS202EXT access points support something called "Preferred BSSIDs". Engenius' "Preferred BSSID" allows their ENS202EXT access points to repeat a specific MAC address WITHIN the same SSID name.

Since I would think extending a specific/preferred Access Point's signal via its MAC would be a widespread need, I wish Netgear would come out with a firmware update to support preferred/MAC-address-specific SSIDs.

(Netgear: I hope you read and respond to this thread!)

Thanks again for the great information you provided!

Message 6 of 7

@TheEther wrote:

If anyone in the UK reads this, and has a BT Homehub, they may want to note this advice.

BT's Homehub likes to put 2.4 and 5 GHz on the same SSID. This is why some people ditch their Homehub in favour of a router/modem that allows then to separate the SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz. I use a D6400.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7