× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I dont understand how the range extention works. Netgear 6100 WiFi Range Extender.

larrys3255
Aspirant

I dont understand how the range extention works. Netgear 6100 WiFi Range Extender.

I understand that two new networks are created - EX6100_NETGEAR_2GEXT and _5GEXT. One first selects e.g. the  _2GEXT and clicks on the Continue button. It asks for the network password and then it receives a checkmark. The program then asks for the name and the same security settings as for the existing network. I am not sure what to do next. Does one select the previous wirelesss network or does one select the new wireless network. I tried both and only the old network works. How does the extended range occur? Does the presence of the new network extend the range of the old network or must you use the new network for extended range?

Thanks for cleariing up my confusion.

Message 1 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Re: I dont understand how the range extention works. Netgear 6100 WiFi Range Extender.

Have an owner's manual? Did you read it?

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: I dont understand how the range extention works. Netgear 6100 WiFi Range Extender.

Hello larrys3255

Here is a article on how to setup the EX6100

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24432

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
larrys3255
Aspirant

Thanks Darren.This is clearer than the short manual that came with the device (which I of course had read). I sill have a few questions however.

1. I am not sure what is the "network passphrase" and the "network  key". I assume that the passphrase is the password used 

previously for the router,  but I am not sure what is the "network key".  Does the extended network have its own username and password?

2. The appearance of the Genie program on the web browser is hit or miss. I tried resetting the Extender to factory specs but that did not help.

3. I assume that the extended network and not the previous wireless network should now be used on the cell phone or ipad.

However when I try that, it never gets a "click" and never shows a functional wireless network connection.

Thanks again. 

Larry

Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Larrys3255

The passphrase is when you assign a password the network key is the default password that typically located on the sticker on the bottom of the product.

Not sure I understand what you mean by click are you saying the phone and the Ipad can not see the wireless network of the extender?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7