× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have a Nighthawk D8500 and want to add a Mesh network

Jonsmile
Aspirant

I have a Nighthawk D8500 and want to add a Mesh network

Hi all,

I have a router/modem D8500 and am fairly happy with it - it gives good wifi that does not drop, but it does not cover the whole house.  I have a few powerline extenders that help, but these seem to drop out the wifi signal fairly often and I still don't have full coverage around the house.

I was looking to add a Mesh network to my D8500 and want advice on what would be a better set up.

1. Keep the (expensive) D8500 and add a Mesh (which one?) under bridge mode?

2. Dump the D8500 and buy a Mesh that replaces the D8500 Modem/router?

3. Keep the D8500 and switch off its wifi and plug in the Mesh and use Mesh for all Wifi

4. something different.

Looking for the communties advise on the way forward as can't be the first to stumble on this problem of having a decent ADSL modem/router and wanting to add a decent Mesh wifi solution.

Editied to add

Looking at either of these for now (feel free to add additional options)

NETGEAR Orbi Pro AC3000 Business Mesh WiFi

or

NETGEAR RBK53 Orbi Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (Router and Satellite),

Thanks

Jon

Message 1 of 3
Jonsmile
Aspirant

Re: I have a Nighthawk D8500 and want to add a Mesh network

further edit (post won't allow edit of main post)

Instead of looking at the Orbi, is it worth considering a Nighghawk Range extender?

e.g. buying two of these

NETGEAR EX7700-100UKS Nighthawk X6 AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Mesh Extender

or even

two of these

NETGEAR EX8000-100EUS AC3000 Mbps Nighthawk Mesh X6S Tri-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender

I am now more confused that when I started looking into this!
Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: I have a Nighthawk D8500 and want to add a Mesh network

The Orbi Pro is intended for small business use - it has some features that you wouldn't need.  The RBK53 is a better option.

Also, you'd still need an ADSL gateway - so if you get an Orbi, you'll probably need to keep the D8500 running with wifi off, and use the Orbi as an AP.

On Orbi vs D8500+extenders...

Both could work well for you.  Price is one consideration, so the answer partly depends on how many satellites you think you need.  The EX8000 has the same radio specs as an Orbi RBS50 satellite, and if you only need one or two then it would be cheaper than an RBK53.  An RBK50 can cover my home (about 3500 square feet, three floors). FWIW, I was replacing an R8500, which couldn't deliver 5 Ghz to the entire house.  

In terms of performance, Orbi is a fully integrated wifi system, and it's been out there long enough to be stable.  The mesh extenders are a fairly new concept, and there are some bugs showing up here.  So you might need to live through some growing pains with the mesh extenders, especially if you need more than one.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7