× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I'm having fits connecting an EX8000, X6S mesh extender to my Nighthawk R8000P, X6S router

greghatch
Initiate

I'm having fits connecting an EX8000, X6S mesh extender to my Nighthawk R8000P, X6S router

Greetings!

Thanks in advance for any help you nice people can give!

I had this network running in the past year.  Then, on a rare trip into the room the extender is in, I noticed it wasn't connected (proper display LEDs weren't lit or flashing).  At that time, I had it connected to the X6S router via ethernet cable.

I have completely rebooted my (Spectrum supplied) modem, then once online, rebooted the X6S router, and repeatedly tried to connect the extender, which I had moved to the same room as the router.

The user's manual states I should go to my wifi connection settings, select NETGEAR_EXT as the network, and connect.  (I should say at this time that connecting via WPS has never been successful for me.).

First problem...  NETGEAR_EXT never pops up as a choice to connect to, either on my laptop or android phone!  I haven't been able to find any articles that address this problem!

Second problem...  When I connect the extender and router together via ethernet cable, there is no indication the connection is working.  The Nighthawk app on my phone says the extender isn't connected.  I checked the ethernet cable it's good.

When all is said and done, I would like this mesh extender connected to the router via ethernet cable once again.  It seems as though it should be so simple!

What am I doing wrong?  

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: I'm having fits connecting an EX8000, X6S mesh extender to my Nighthawk R8000P, X6S router

1. What modem are you using? 

2. Did you set it up first via wps? If so, it uses the same ssid as the router as it sets up in mesh mode. meaning it'll have the same name.

3. If you're hardwiring it to the router, factory reset it and reinstall it in access point mode. Or it won't function properly. 

Message 2 of 3
greghatch
Initiate

Re: I'm having fits connecting an EX8000, X6S mesh extender to my Nighthawk R8000P, X6S router

Thank you for the advice.
I was finally able to connect the extender as an access point, mainly by NOT following the user guide instructions too closely!
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7