× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I need to extend my wifi signal to a workshop in the garden

Curlie028
Star

I need to extend my wifi signal to a workshop in the garden

I have a Netgear WiFi Booster Range Extender AC3000 (EX8000).

It took me a loooonnnng time to find the best placement for my extender but for months now my whole house has been covered very well, decent speed and no dropping of the signal, so I am loathed to reposition it again. 

I think the problem may have been the house extension is on a different circuit for the original build and the extender is now at the extremes of the original build and connected to the hub via the house wiring, by an ethernet cable. Apols if some of the terms are a little off.

My good lady wife, The Boss, has put up a workshop (she calls it a studio but she will never read this) but it is probably best described as being just outside the limits of my current wifi signal. It's a very weak signal and more often than not it drops out.

So rather than go through the pain and heartache of potentially upsetting the current extender by edging it closer, I'm up for buying another extender.

If I were to simply buy another Netgear WiFi Booster Range Extender AC3000 (EX8000), which would be plugged into a different electrical circuit and I place it halfway between the current extender and the workshop, should that work?

Or is there a better way to get my signal out to the workshop?

†hanks in advance.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

would it work? Potentially. 

Its tough to know though because exterior walls tend to block wifi very well. And certain materials do as well.

And you haven't told us what distance it is either. 

so all we can say is: potentially. 

Any chance you can bury an ethernet wire between the home and the "studio"? If so, you can harwire in an extender and use it in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 6
Curlie028
Star

Thanks for your very prompt reply pleman.

Unfortunately I would not want to bury an ethernet cable between the house and workshop/studio, as I have a bricked patio between.

Here's a rough and ready plan of my challenge. Not sure it will help but if may well give you the dimensions of the challenge I have.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

sorry your writing is a little tough to read. 

If you've got a signal in the location you plan on putting the extender and the photo shows a window, put the extender in the window. wifi doesn't have an issue passing through glass but other exterior materials do block signals. 

About all you can do is try it. 

Make sure to buy from somewhere with a good return policy in case it doesn't work out 

Message 4 of 6
Curlie028
Star

Okay! Thanks.

Can I confirm that the principle that a 2nd extender will pick up and forward the signal from the first.

Thanks again plemans. 

Much appreciated

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can daisy chain extenders. It usually isn't recommended but if you're going to do it, using the triband extenders is the best ones to do it with. When you setup the 2nd one, during setup, uncheck the "extend 2.4gh network". You'll still be able to use 2.4ghz but it won't use it as a failover for the backhaul. Helps with speeds/stability with daisy chaining. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7