× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IOS14 weak security message on iphone EX 6120 Extender

danrose
Follower

IOS14 weak security message on iphone EX 6120 Extender

Am getting ios 14 iphone message of weak security but only when I'm on the new extender.  The router has WSP2 AES but it seems the extender is using TKIP.  Not sure how to fix this as I don't want to change the router.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: IOS14 weak security message on iphone EX 6120 Extender

If Apple does see WiFi with the outdated legacy WPA-PSK(TKIP) - even if the iOS system is using WPA2-PSK(AES) they issue this "Weak Security" warning. Granted, there might be a minor risk that bad boys like me can trigger the connection to downgrade to e WPA-PSK(TKIP) so we might have some insight on certain details.

If you are connecting to your own home, even more your own SOHO or SMB network, your 4G/5G WiFi hotspot, and want to get always the same LAN IP address assigned by DHCP by having a MAC-IP address reservation in place, you have to disable the "Private WiFi" (this is a random MAC address - nothing "private") used for this connection [the SSID or wireless network name]  iOS 14ff. will greet you with a "Privacy Warning" that "using a private address [note Apples famous ability to use different terms for the same]  helps to reduce tracking across different WiFi networks". No, you won't be tracked on your own home home, SOHO, or SMB network - so you are safe to disable this nonsense for your own wireless connections.  

The point is that many Netgear extenders seem to be fixed to WPA-PSK(TKIP) and WPA2-PSK(AES) so called mixed mode, see -> Extender security type how to set WPA2 PSK.  Netgear has to update many wireless extenders (no idea if they already started this tedious process or they try to sit-it-out) - so look for firmware updates available for your extender, and once this happend, reconfigure to  WPA2-PSK(AES). 

Please allow to hints: There is a nice (i) right of the iOS 14ff. connection - giving insight in potential warnings. There is also the possibility to use search before opening a new thread here on the community.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7