× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP Configuration failure - EX6120 Range Extender

sfallon36
Guide

IP Configuration failure - EX6120 Range Extender

So I have setup my Range Extender, everything seems to be working fine, except I cannot connect on the 5Ghz band.  I just get the error report IP Configuration Failure.

I'm connecting on an Android Phone (Oneplus 3), I can connect fine on the 2.4Ghz band.  I've re-checked passwords etc.

Is there a channel issue that I might be having?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 27
Andreas_1
Aspirant

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem with connection via 5GHz-band.

Computer is running Windows 10-64b, WiFi is Intel 7260.

My Computer is configured to DHCP and pulls properly an IP address when connecting directly to the Router.

But when connecting the Computer to the Range Extender 5GHz-WiFi, it does not pull any IP and Windows tells me that ther eis no internet connection.

When connecting to the Range Extender 2.4GHz-WiFi, the computer pulls IP address and Internet works fine.

The status page of the Range Extender shows connection to both router´s WiFi´s 2.4 and 5GHz.

Could this be a configuration error?

Best regards

Andreas

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 2 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello sfallon36 and Andreas_1

I have seen that this could be a channel issue I would try changing the channel on the main routers 5ghz to see if the extender will start working.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 27
RomanticTuna
Aspirant

I checked with WiFi Analyser and they are both on the same channel (36)  switching the Router to 40.  WIll let you know how it goes.

Message 4 of 27
sfallon36
Guide

I have Virgin Media as my Broadband supplier, with the Superhub 2.  I've switched that to modem only, which connects to my Asus RT-AC66U.  I went into the settings of the Asus and switched the 5Ghz channel to 40 from 36, then went back on wifi analyser on my phone.

The 5Ghz channel from the router had gone to channel 40, but so had the extender.....  However, they were both away from other 5Ghz systems in my area and gave it another try.  For some reason it still can't get an ip address, same message.

Am I right in assuming the extender 5Ghz channel should be on the same as the original Router?  Or does that not matter?

Message 5 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello sfallon36

Yes the extender picks up the channel that the router is using so they are both on the same channel.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 27
Andreas_1
Aspirant

Hello. I had some time and investigated the issue more in detail. Conclusion and 'Questions are copied from bottom to the beginning, for the details read the post all the way down. ========================================================================== Conclusion: It appears that the EX6120 with Firmware V1.0.0.16_1.0.11 cannot extend two WiFis (2.4 AND 5GHz) at the same time. It can extend one WiFi (2.4 OR 5GHz) and add a second subsidiary WiFi to the extended ones on the other frequency band. This looks to me like a firmware bug . Questions to Netgear: 1. Does Netgear confirm the above conclusion? 2. What is Netgears response to this issue? 3. By when does Netgear consider to fix this issue? ========================================================================== Issue: No Internet connection on extended 5GHz WiFi and on LAN-port of EX6120. Pre-Requisites: - Main Router is working with two different SSIDs on 2.4GHz (SSID:Test_2.4, Ch:11) and 5GHz (Test_5, Ch:36) using same passphrase. - Target #1: EX6120 to be connected via 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi to main router and to create its own 2.4 and 5GHz WiFis with same passphrases as main router. - Target #2: Use of 2pcs of EX6120-100PES to extend exsiting WiFi from one floor to three floors. - Firmware is up to date V1.0.0.16_1.0.11 - Tests are performed with only one EX6120, the other ones is still in the box (for goods return purposes if needed). - Setup of EX6120 is set to "Repeater", main Routers WiFi´s are properly detected, passphrases are entered. - EX6120 SSIDs are Test_2.4_EXT and Test_5_EXT. - EX6120 shows to have good connection to both Main router Wifi´s (green indicators). - EX6120 Ethernet Port is configured to use 5GHz WiFi. - EX6120 Regional setting is Europe - All other settings are unchanged and factory setting . - Laptop is Sony Vaio SVP1310, Windows 10 with Intel WiFi card a+b+g+n+ac+Bluetooth - Laptop connected to main router WiFi SSID Test_2.4: internet is available, connection okay. - Laptop connected to main router WiFi SSID Test_5: internet is available, connection okay. - Laptop connected to EX6120 SSID Test_2.4_EXT: internet is available, connection okay. - Laptop connected to EX6120 SSID Test_5_EXT: Does not receive IP-address (DHCP not working?), no internet connection. - Wireshark traces on computer connected to Main router show that absolutely no traffic passes through EX6120 , coming from Laptop. - Laptop#2 connected to Ethernet port of EX6120, configured for DHCP, does not recieve IP address, no internet connection. - Wireshark traces show a short period of traffic passthrough via EX6120 (via Ethernet port or 5GHz WiFi) when applying changed settings to EX6120. Passthrough Time frame is 8 to 16 seconds. 1. Check if WiFi Channel change on main router would improve situation Performed action: change channel from 36 to 40 Result: No change on Laptop and Laptop#2 Performed action 2: change from channel 40 to 48 Result: no change on Laptop and Laptop#2 2. Factory setting of EX6120 and exact identical configuration as before Result: no change on Laptop and Laptop#2 3. Re-Flash Firmware into EX6120 V1.0.0.16_1.0.11. Result: no change on Laptop and Laptop#2 4. Change Ethernet Port to use 2.4 instead of 5GHz WiFi 5. Result: Laptop#2 =internet is available, connection okay. Laptop=no change 6. Change passphrase of Test_5 and set EX6120 again to use same passphrase as Test_5 for Test_5_EXT. Result: Laptop#2 traffic passed for 16 seconds. 7. Set back identical passphrases for Test_2.4 and Test_5 on main router and set one new different passphrase for Test_2.4_EXT and Test_5_EXT on EX6120. Test_2.4_EXT and Test_5_EXT have now different passphrase as Test_2.4 and Test_5_EXT. Result: Laptop#2 traffic passed for 3 seconds. 8. Set two different passphrases in EX6120 for Test_2.4_EXT and Test_5_EXT Result: Laptop#2 traffic passed for 2 seconds. 9. Extend only 5GHz WiFi (Test_5, Ch:36), using same passphrase for Test_5 and Test_5_EXT and Test_2.4_EXT . Result: Laptop#2 internet is available, connection okay. Laptop internet is available, connection okay. Conclusion: It appears that the EX6120 with Firmware V1.0.0.16_1.0.11 cannot extend two WiFis (2.4 AND 5GHz) at the same time. It can extend one WiFi (2.4 OR 5GHz) and add a second subsidiary WiFi to the extended ones on the other frequency band. This looks to me like a firmware bug Questions: 1. Does Netgear confirm the above conclusion? 2. What is Netgears response to this issue? 3. By when does Netgear consider to fix this issue? Looking forward to a positive feedback Regards Andreas
Message 7 of 27
sfallon36
Guide

Very comprehensive reply above.

I've reset every device and connection, completely reinstalled the extender and the problem still exists.

Within the Info page, t says everything is good, but atill no 5Ghz connection.

Help us ot here Netgear
Message 8 of 27
storm1985
Prodigy

has anyone tried the older firmware versions like V1.0.0.8 or V1.0.0.4 and check if it has the same result?

Message 9 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

We are trying to replicate this issue and have our engineers look into the issue I will let you guys know what I hear about this or may ask you for some more info later on.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 27
sfallon36
Guide

I havent tried an older firmware, why would that be useful? Was the older one more stable?
Message 11 of 27
storm1985
Prodigy

if engrs know that it will work with older or other firmware then it is easy for them to fix this latest fw.

Message 12 of 27
kjarman
Aspirant

Me too.  Brand new out of box.  

Message 13 of 27
sfallon36
Guide

I've given up and binned it, it was utterly rubbish, completely unstable. Worst network device I ever owned.
Message 14 of 27
collegementors
Aspirant

My Wifi Range extender was working just fine until I bought an Amazon firestick. When I plugged in the firestick, it wanted me to connect to the internet, and I tried to put in the password for my extended network,  but it kept telling me that it was incorrect. So, I went onto www.mywifiext.net and it asked me to set it up again--I went through the steps, put in the password, said that the extended passwords would be the same, and it appeared to complete. However, I can't connect at all.

However, I now cannot use the extended networks on ANY devices--not my computer, iPad, TV (which no longer even recognizes my router, which I did NOTHING to), or anything else. I am told that the password is incorrect for either of the extended networks.  Nor can I start over and set it up again because I cannot get onto www.mywifiext.net from Chrome or Safari. I can't see the NETGEAR internal network--not even if connected via ethernet. 

Dead in the water. HELLLLLPPPPPP

Message 15 of 27
Andreas_1
Aspirant

Hello.

It really appears that something is wrong with the password.

Did you try to set a different password in your WiFi extender?

Just to be sure the password is not too long or contains strange characters.

Maybe the EX6120 can not handle password of existing WiFi.

Message 16 of 27
collegementors
Aspirant

It had been using the same password--and when I re-set it up, I did the same.  For some reason, I can't even see the NETGEAR_EXT  ssid anymore...even when plugged into ethernet. So, completely flummoxed. And, of course, I have no more warranty so can't get help from Netgear.

Message 17 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Try inserting a paperclip into the factory reset slot, and set everything up from scratch.

Message 18 of 27
collegementors
Aspirant

Man, I wish I'd seen this before I paid Netgear to re-set everything up remotely for me. Ah well...will know for next time.

Message 19 of 27
tsheeley
Tutor

I figured out our problem... the trick is that you can only extend 1 band from your main router, not both at once... only 2.4G or 5G.

At first I thought the problem was a firmware issue, like the previous replies state... it's not the firmware. This solution has been tested on both the inital firmware when the device was released and the current firmware as of 1/21/2017.

We're going to call this problem an unintended "feature" instead.

Try doing this, it'll work... I've tested this method for over a week now before typing this up.

1.  Factory reset your extender.

2.  Connect to the default SSID and begin the setup.

-- Note: I've done all of this from a WiFi enabled PC using both 2.4G and 5G bands.

3.  When you get to the part about entering in your existing WiFi info that you want to extend... only do 1 band. Uncheck the box for the other.

-- Note: In my testing, I only extended the 5G band, so everything from here is based on that. Your own milage might vary if extending the 2.4G band.

4.  Once you're on the part for defining your new extended SSIDs, you can actually have the device transmit both 2.4G and 5G bands, even though you've only extended the 5G from your main router.

5.  Continue with the setup.

6.  When you get to the screen about connecting your devices as normal, have your PC connect to both bands and remember the password, then use any mobile device and connect to both bands as well.

7.  Make sure you have a device connected to each band before continuing. I have my PC on the 2.4G and my Note4 on the 5G.

8.  Push Continue.

9.  Check the status screen on the extender, you should see something like this...

Capture.JPG

10. Enjoy.

Message 20 of 27
Hancock
Aspirant

This worked for me, thanks!
Message 21 of 27
jfmoen
Aspirant

Ok...took a second shot at it.... changed SSID names... and it worked.  That is the issue.  You can only extend 1 of mhzs not both.  I extended the 5.0 mhz only result was an extension into the 2.4 mhz and 5.0 mz.  In the final step you will see the option for each mhz....I added a 24 to the 2.4 mhz so you could see it clearly.  After setup I checked router, and yes there was the 2.4 extender connected to the 2.4 mhz SSID and the 5.0 connected to the 5.0 SSID....magic....but clearly configuration instructions totally misleading...and hard to call this a 'feature'. 

Just remember to configure only 1 SSID on the router...either 2.4 or 5.0.  I chose 5.0 assuming it would figure out the 2.4...and it did

Message 22 of 27
Hypometric
Initiate

Being unable to extend both networks from the Router is nonsense.   Working from one network from the router is at most a workaround and doesn't solve the issue.  This workaround means that whilst it does provide a functioning extension of the network, the product is not at this point fit for purpose or as described.

Disappointing! 😕

Message 23 of 27
tsheeley
Tutor

Yes, it is nonsense. But, it does work and give you both bands on the ext. I use it for my home office and have almost no problems doing video Hangouts and VOIP calls.

If I remember correctly, I also found typos in the little book that came with it... so are you really surprised that it doesn't work 100% as advertised?

Message 24 of 27
jfmoen
Aspirant

yes it worked.  Manual is totally wrong.  Watch out for resultant network.  On my machine the network was mark public.  There is a registry hack to change that.  Running WIN 10 Pro 64 bit.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7