× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR from sender security@e.netgear.com

radumaz
Initiate

Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR from sender security@e.netgear.com

Just received an email about an "Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR" from sender security@e.netgear.com.(mailed_by: bounce.e.netgear.com, signed_by:e.netgear.com)

Is this legit? I checked and no recent (last 3 months) update is available. So, where is the imperative "important"

If this is not legit, how do they know what equipment I have associated with my contact? If there is a leak of information about registered Netgear equipment users  let us know at least to change our account password.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
pkgadd
Apprentice

Re: Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR from sender security@e.netgear.com

Details would depend on the mail headers and link locations - or Netgear revealing that they've sent this mail; a first hint might be not following any links and searching for an update for your device and its release notes on https://www.netgear.com/support/ yourself.

My gut instincts strongly suggest this probably being a spam/ scam attempt, trying you to run their malicious software or access your access credentials on their site.

So don't do either, ignore the mail and don't click any links (nor mine given above), and just make sure that you're running the most recent firmware based on Netgear's official support site (and/ or running the update search in the webinterface of your router, respectively the orbi/ nighthawk app).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR from sender security@e.netgear.com

What device do you have?

What actual version are you on? 

A mod will probably have to check into if if thats a legit email 

Message 2 of 3
pkgadd
Apprentice

Details would depend on the mail headers and link locations - or Netgear revealing that they've sent this mail; a first hint might be not following any links and searching for an update for your device and its release notes on https://www.netgear.com/support/ yourself.

My gut instincts strongly suggest this probably being a spam/ scam attempt, trying you to run their malicious software or access your access credentials on their site.

So don't do either, ignore the mail and don't click any links (nor mine given above), and just make sure that you're running the most recent firmware based on Netgear's official support site (and/ or running the update search in the webinterface of your router, respectively the orbi/ nighthawk app).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7