× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

In AP mode, can I use same SSID name as on main AT&T UVerse gateway

ricko2001
Aspirant

My goal is to have client devices connect to the EX3700 automatically when in it's main coverage area.

I'm also not clear about te technology that uses the same SSID for the 2GHz and 5GHz bands. My AT&T UVerse gateway uses that and it works. Client devices switch bands when moving within it's coverage area. 

Is that band switching feature compatible with EX3700 if it's SSID is the same as that of the gateway?

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: In AP mode, can I use same SSID name as on main AT&T UVerse gateway

The EX3700 doesn't have band steering or mesh mode. 

Can you use the same ssid? yes. Will it bandsteer and work as a mesh? No. 

Devices will tend to be sticky and not roam the same or switch between bands. 

Message 2 of 6
ricko2001
Aspirant

Can you correct any misconceptions below?

So I interpret your response as-

I can use the same SSID on both the AP AC750/EX3700 for both 2 and 5 GHz bands as well as my main UVerse Gateway (both 2 anf 5 GHz ). All of these are on the same TCP/IP network.

Devices- (in my case, smart phones), are sticky in theiir WiFi connections.

So in a scenario in which a phone is near the main gateway and connects to the common SSID, it will connect via the 5GHz gateway.  As the phone moves away, it will auto switch to the Gateway's 2GHz connection. (thanks to "band steering on the Gateway)

As I get closer to the AP (AC750/EX3700), the device will only connect to the AP if the connection to the main gateway WiFi is "dropped". One could improve the connection by simply turning off WiFi on the device and re-enabling it. It would then connect to the stronger AP signal- either 2 or 5GHz randomly (?).

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

That's correct in theory. In usage it sometimes connects to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz.  It can be a challenge which is why I usually have people set a sperate ssid so they can choose which to connect to when running a non-mesh netowrk. 

Message 4 of 6
ricko2001
Aspirant

Since I can hard wire the AP for 1 Gb/s , a mesh network would be a step down in performance in terns of thru-put and latency, right?
Can one hard wire mesh APs to get higher performance and the features associated with the APs talking with each other?
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Both the orbi systems and the nighthawk mesh (mk60 series) support wired backhaul. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7