× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Incorrect WiFi password

Josiah0455
Aspirant

Incorrect WiFi password

My devices keep getting disconnected and it says my password is incorrect. I preceded to type in the correct password and it says it’s still incorrect. This just started happening recently I’m not sure what’s wrong. If someone could help me with this that would be great.
Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

What router is it connected to?

Did you set it up via wps? 

have you tried factory resetting it and reinstalling it using the install assistant? 

Message 2 of 17
Josiah0455
Aspirant

The router that is being used is a spectrum wave 2 connected to the netgear range extender and I do believe that it was set up with a wps. I have factory reset both the router and the extended multiple times. I’m not sure what the install assistant is.
Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 17
Josiah0455
Aspirant

The article just describes the two different ways I normally set up the extender.
Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

which spectrum modem/router is it? 

Message 6 of 17
Josiah0455
Aspirant

Spectrum wave 2
Message 7 of 17
Josiah0455
Aspirant

This just started happening recently. The net gear extender also recently download and updated a new firmware
Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

@Josiah0455 wrote:
Spectrum wave 2

Tells me nothing more. 

Spectrum has many models. Its like a mechanic asking what car you have and saying its a chevy and not what actual car it is. 

Message 9 of 17
Josiah0455
Aspirant

RAC2V1K is the model number on the router. I do not believe it has anything to do with the router because I’ve been using it for about a year now.
Message 10 of 17
plemans
Guru

Message 11 of 17
archetype
Tutor

I am not sure if this applies here or not but if so it could save a LOT of headache.

With the Netgear routers, there is a connected device limit of 32 per band, so 32 devices on the 2.4gHz and 32 on the 5gHz.  That's simultaneous connections.  If you exceed that threshold whatever the newest devices attempting to connect are, even if they have connected before, will be denied.  It took me a LOT of research but I can replicate this every time and even control which device won't connect as soon as I hit 32.  In my case my solution was to move a number of devices from my 2.4gHz to my 5gHz band, and that solved everything.

I suspect the same limit would apply to the extenders, too, but what I don't know is if it's an aggregate on the router or 32 per extender.  I don't have an extender so I cannot test, but if more than 32 devices are trying to connect simultaneously it seems like exactly the behavior I encountered.  On my router I can go to Basic->Attached Devices and see what's connected on each band.  I had to manually count.

Reference: https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-NETGEAR-router

I hope this helps!

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 12 of 17
witwitchery
Tutor

Just started having this issue with my Nighthawk EX770 extender. I ran a software update on the extender yesterday and today I'm experiencing the "incorrect password" error on both of my iOS devices (iPhone 11 and iPad 8th gen) out of nowhere. Not sure if it's related to the update but a search through the forums hints at a recurring bug.Only had the extender since about April and it's worked fine until now. 

My laptop devices, both MacBook Airs, are able to connect without issue. iOS devices are only able to connect to 2.4gh and not the 5gh network. The password for both is the same and hasn't changed. Forgetting the network and rejoining doesn't do the trick. I'm not running into the device limit on either network. Not entirely sure how to check for 'Smart Connect' or whether it will redo the trick, but I haven't tried resetting the extender yet since I'm currently working. 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

I'd give it a shot at factory resetting it

Message 14 of 17
witwitchery
Tutor

Thanks plemans! It took me a while to reset it, and beforehand my laptop was starting to constantly be booted off the 5G network. I'd switch to it seemingly successfully, and then it'd switch to the 2.4g network some minutes later. Luckily, resetting the extender to factory and setting it up from there seems to have done the trick so far. 

Message 15 of 17
witwitchery
Tutor

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. It worked fine last night after resetting it, but now it's not working at all. The lights are still on on the unit, but I can't connect to my IP address or to mywifiext  and the Netgear extender login page says I'm not connected to the extender. I've tried their troubleshooting tips to no avail. 

Message 16 of 17
plemans
Guru

Are you on version 1.0.0.210 of the firmware? 

If so, downgrade tot he 1.0.0.206 version, factory reset, and reinstall. After reinstall, disable auto-updates. I've seen a coupe posts where people are having issues on the latest firmware. 

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7